Is it possible to save a track stack as a patch if it contains both MIDI and audio tracks?

thesheep
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have MIDI track with the Overbridge plugin on it, which brings in all the audio from my hardware Syntakt. I then have the outputs routed to separate audio tracks via busses. This means I can record all the outputs separately. I made this into a summing stack which contains the MIDI track and 16 separate audio tracks.

Logic does seem to let me save this summing stack as a preset. However, I can't find a way to reload the preset back in again.

If I create a new blank MIDI track or a new audio track, then the patch I saved is not visible to load from the library.

Interestingly, if I create a new summing stack, consisting of an empty MIDI track and an empty audio track, then Logic *does* show me my preset as an option. BUT when I select that patch, it fails to recreate all the channels and busses.

Is there any solution to this (other than just working from a template each time)

image.thumb.png.6f891ea2e667fa1a2c19942e15b122ff.png

Thanks.

Edited by thesheep

• thesheep changed the title to Is it possible to save a track stack as a patch if it contains both MIDI and audio tracks?
2 hours ago, thesheep said:

Interestingly, if I create a new summing stack, consisting of an empty MIDI track and an empty audio track, then Logic *does* show me my preset as an option. BUT when I select that patch, it fails to recreate all the channels and busses.

A patch consisting of Audio and MIDI channels is considered as an "Aux" patch (because the summing track is an Aux), so only if an Aux track is selected the Library will offer you to load that patch. That's why you see the patch when you select a summing track (which is, of course, an Aux track).

I'm not sure what you mean by "fails to recreate all the channels and busses"? What exactly is not created that should be present in the saved patch?

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

A patch consisting of Audio and MIDI channels is considered as an "Aux" patch (because the summing track is an Aux), so only if an Aux track is selected the Library will offer you to load that patch. That's why you see the patch when you select a summing track (which is, of course, an Aux track).

I'm not sure what you mean by "fails to recreate all the channels and busses"? What exactly is not created that should be present in the saved patch?

Thanks for replying.

'Aux' tracks don't seem to work for me in the way you describe.

If I create a new summing stack that contains *only audio* tracks, that indeed does seem to be an Aux track, but it doesn't let me select the patch I created.

If I create a new summing stack that contains 1 empty audio track and 1 empty MIDI track, that is also an Aux track, but it *does* let me see the option for my patch.

However, when I click that patch in the Library pane, nothing happens. 

In the original patch I had a single MIDI track with 16 'sub' MIDI tracks for the multi-part instrument. I also had 16 audio tracks, with routing to these from separate busses. None of this is created when I click on the patch name in the Library... 

Just now, David Nahmani said:

You have to create an Aux track in order to see Aux patches: in the Mixer, choose Options > Create New Auxiliary Channel Strip, then press Control-T to create a track. Now you can select your Aux patch from the Library.

Exactly, David, that's what I did as well and it seemed to work here

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You have to create an Aux track in order to see Aux patches: in the Mixer, choose Options > Create New Auxiliary Channel Strip, then press Control-T to create a track. Now you can select your Aux patch from the Library.

Ah I see. Yes when I create an Aux track in that way, it does work. Great thanks.

• Like 1