Can I install (old) 10.3.3 version on my new mac with no secure issues?

Tierno
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi 
I am running Logic 10.3.3 very happily on my 2014 mac.

In fact, I wouldn't even upgrade either the Logic or the mac mini because they both work totally fine  BUT....

I'm upgrading the mac mini because I assume it's OSX will pretty soon be unsupported online (it's just about ok now, but that won't last long, i expect)

I could buy the latest version of Logic, but ideally I'd like to make each mac mini a near-clone of the other, in terms of Logic AND Logic projects,

So that i have secure two way backup,

And also I could then take one mac away (probably the older one), and work abroad on holiday sometimes, while still keeping my main computer and all its projects safe at home.

I am assume that projects will not be transferable BOTH WAYS from 10.3.3 to whatever the newest Logic version is?

is that true?

However, if i can open all projects back and forth, both ways, between the new and old Logic, I'd probably buy the latest version of Logic with my new mac

But if not, is there any way i can put the old version of Logic 10.3.3 on a new mac? Would there be any online support issues or hazards in doing that?

Also, i presume I had a deal back in 2014 enabling me to put the version of Logic I got then on more than one machine?

Would that still apply all these years later?

Thanks if you can help

T

Edited by Tierno
accidentally sent before completion

• Solution
47 minutes ago, Tierno said:

But if not, is there any way i can put the old version of Logic 10.3.3 on a new mac? Would there be any online support issues or hazards in doing that?

Also, i presume I had a deal back in 2014 enabling me to put the version of Logic I got then on more than one machine?

Would that still apply all these years later?

You bought Logic Pro 10 from Apple. So on your new machine, simply log into the AppStore, and redownload it from your "Purchases" tab. You'll get the most current version of Logic Pro your new machine supports.

You don't need to buy Logic again, as you've already bought your license.

If you really want your very old version of Logic 10 on your new machine, you can simply copy the application to the new machine, but there's no guarantee it will work on modern macOS versions, as a lot has changed since then. You're better off imo getting the latest versions. They will load your 10.3.x projects just fine.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for your advice, moderator

I m happy to hear my original purchase will cover me for latest version, and on a new machine.

I wasn't too sure of that, and that info alone resolves most of this issue for me

I doubt I will be able to pass projects back and forth interchangeably between both versions of Logic (which might have been ideal) because i'm pretty sure projects on the latest version won't open in the old one

However, so long as whatever I create on the old version will run on the latest version, 
then that will mean I could still use my old mac and old logic to work when I'm travelling or on holiday...but move whatever I may create onto my newer mac for further development when i get home. 
;'
I'm thinking of spending some time away from home , and I would still like to do a bit of offline logic work, capture new ideas,  etc ....but would not really want to risk my 'proper' computer out in the wild world , travelling etc

Thx again

Edited by Tierno
refine

9 minutes ago, Tierno said:

I doubt I will be able to pass projects back and forth interchangeably between both versions of Logic (which might have been ideal) because i'm pretty sure projects on the latest version won't open in the old one

Correct.

9 minutes ago, Tierno said:

However, so long as whatever I create on the old version will run on the latest version, 
then that will mean I could still use my old mac and old logic to work when I'm travelling or on holiday...but move whatever I may create onto my newer mac for further development when i get home. 

Yes!