How to handle silences within a track in free tempo recording

DC Logic Novice
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

First, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place — still try to figure out the structure. 

I'm trying to record a rhythm guitar track with free tempo recording. I've actually been pretty impressed with how well it analyzes tempo, etc. The problem this time is that I need two bars of silence (but not absolute silence, the ring of the acoustic needs to not be cut off). When logic analyzes the recorded track, it drops the tempo way down during that silence. Then when I go to add another instrument atop the rhythm guitar — say virtual drums, the tempo is all off. 

Any idea how to handle this?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't played with Free Tempo much.  Are you using Adapt or Automatic mode?

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208458

To match the project tempo to your performance while recording, use Adapt or Automatic mode. Use Adapt mode temporarily, when recording the first tracks in your new project. With Automatic mode, Logic Pro automatically chooses Adapt if no tempo reference material is present in the project (or if the metronome off), or chooses Keep mode if there are tracks with tempo reference material present.

Does that help?

• Like 1

• Solution

I suppose that dropping the tempo way down during the sustained note isn't really an issue in itself? 

On 2/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, DC Logic Novice said:

Then when I go to add another instrument atop the rhythm guitar — say virtual drums, the tempo is all off. 

Before you even try to add more tracks to your guitar I would turn on the Metronome and listen to make sure that the tempos Logic detected (and where it places downbeats etc...) matches what you've played? 

If it doesn't, then open the Smart Tempo editor and work in there until it does. You can use the Hint mode to tell Logic where you expect downbeats etc: Improve the tempo analysis using hints in Logic Pro

• Like 1