Can Logic be set to load the same channel strip every time I open a .mid file?

GeneralDisarray
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

From time to time I download a .mid file from a YouTuber or a forum or, like in this case, examples that come with an instrument. Per default, Logic loads the Steinway Grand Piano, and depending on the MIDI file, it will load that on all the tracks, or, in one case I just saw, it loads other things, but not what I need.

This is very unfortunately an instrument that runs on Kontakt, so for the time being, I would like to assign Kontakt 7 as the default channel strip. So I did that with one track, saved it as a channel strip, then right clicked on it and selected "Define as default".

But that's not working, as you can see in this screenshot:

1001290757_Screenshot2023-02-06at8_46_48PM.thumb.jpg.a3992c6458faf308c63cba6c07c23221.jpg

Ideally, all those tracks would have Kontakt 7 loaded as the instrument and nothing else because then I have to go into Kontakt and load the .nkm file that goes with that .mid file.

Is there a way to make that happen by default?

At least I know now. Thanks, David!

And I was just trying this out, but I thought, if you select all the tracks in the mixer, in the same way you can reset them all in one step, maybe you can do that for applying a channel strip for all at once, but it doesn't seem to work. 

Is that also not possible?

Edited by GeneralDisarray

Inside the Logic app bundle (at ./Contents/Resources/Default Patches) there is a plist file called GM_Instrument_Mapping_Logic.plist which stores the mapping from General MIDI program change numbers to Software Instrument patches. You can modify that plist so it accesses your desired patches (you would have to move your patches to the Logic app bundle as well, inside the ./Contents/Resources/Patches/Instrument folder).

Surely not for the faint of heart, but should work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, polanoid said:

Inside the Logic app bundle (at ./Contents/Resources/Default Patches) there is a plist file called GM_Instrument_Mapping_Logic.plist which stores the mapping from General MIDI program change numbers to Software Instrument patches. You can modify that plist so it accesses your desired patches (you would have to move your patches to the Logic app bundle as well, inside the ./Contents/Resources/Patches/Instrument folder).

Surely not for the faint of heart, but should work.

Well, I'm a daredevil, so I'd do it. But for that it's something I would need to use like all the time, and it's not, I load a MIDI file at best once a month. But I'll copy and paste your message to put it in a note, to know what to do if at some point I need to load .mid files often.

• Like 1