making templates - advice

apricotandpearjam

hi all.

ive made a template with all my favourite / most needed patches and instruments, including midi to trigger them all laid out nicely in logic.

the only issue is that firstly my logic projects are becoming huge and its taking up a lot of space on my hard drive but also it seems that its massively increasing opening / closing / saving times.

i have it set so that the plugins are de-activated unless the track is selected or there is any midi on it but still its starting to seem a bit burdensome tbh.

i dont like using patches saved into logics library because if i move my sample data then i have to open it and re-save it and secondly i like having all my tracks ready to go so i can skip between them and audition the sounds.

any advice on how i could streamline this?

thanks!🙃

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 18.09.38.png

An alternative to saving patches is a more modular approach, where you have one or several templates that contain all the tracks you may need, then when you work in a new project you open a more basic template and import from the other templates the tracks you need using File > Import > Logic Projects. 

To speed up the process you could have a screenset dedicated to the import task in your main template, with a wide All Files browser open and the other templates bookmarked. 

5 hours ago, ravez said:

I mean have you considered using Vienna Ensemble Pro?

So you can open/close your project instantly and the files would be really small in size.

is this essentially a new DAW? also im not a huge fan of the VSL stuff. 

ideally it would be good to have everything open, ready in logic.

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

An alternative to saving patches is a more modular approach, where you have one or several templates that contain all the tracks you may need, then when you work in a new project you open a more basic template and import from the other templates the tracks you need using File > Import > Logic Projects. 

To speed up the process you could have a screenset dedicated to the import task in your main template, with a wide All Files browser open and the other templates bookmarked. 

that's a great idea and im definitely going to do this.

what i find frustrating about logics import from other projects feature is that it looks absolutely nothing like the session. if it had a way of being able to see a 'preview' of the actual logic session and select the tracks from there it would be so much easier. at the moment its a huge blur of text to me.

really appreciate the advice here, thankyou!

18 minutes ago, apricotandpearjam said:

what i find frustrating about logics import from other projects feature is that it looks absolutely nothing like the session. if it had a way of being able to see a 'preview' of the actual logic session and select the tracks from there it would be so much easier. at the moment its a huge blur of text to me.

Use "No Output" tracks as separators between several track with similar instruments and label them. That way you have some organisation in your project. If you start the tracknames for the "No Output" tracks with something like "---" you will quickly recognise those in the import window.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...