Summing Stack Routing Anomaly . .

mpmusicny

Hi - until a while back, if I wanted to make a summing stack from a bunch of tracks, and the outputs from all of the tracks, and any associated sends, were going to the same bus, Logic would recognize that and assign the output of the summing stack to that bus. Only if there were multiple differing output busses associated with the tracks in the stack would Logic assign a generic output to the stack. Now it seems to be ignoring if I have everything bussed to the same bus, and applying a generic output in every case. Is there a preference or song setting that can change this, or is it a change of behavior/bug?  

p.s. I’m stuck on Logic 10.7.4 because I’m still on Big Sur - I don’t suppose this has been changed in one of the recent updates?

22 hours ago, mpmusicny said:

the outputs from all of the tracks, and any associated sends, were going to the same bus, Logic would recognize that and assign the output of the summing stack to that bus

I just checked this in 10.7.7 and 10.4.4, the behaviour hasn't changed since then and is also not like you describe, actually.

Instead (and IMO this is correct), if there is an Aux that the Bus is routed to, exactly that Aux will be used as the channel strip for the summing track (so routing doesn't change at all). So this image.thumb.png.bf24a28f2a27b56f2375e60bfe2b052b.png 

becomes this after creating the summing stack: image.thumb.png.18f39967a41622dbaabf0015b92f9bca.png

If there is no Aux receiving from the Bus (so the Bus goes nowhere, so to speak), a new empty Aux is used going to Stereo Out, but as I said, this has not changed for quite some time (if ever).

Edited by polanoid

Thanks for looking into that for me Polaroid. I'm away from the studio, but loaded an empty project on my laptop and it appears to be working as expected, so I'm thinking maybe it was good ol' corrupted project. These were old  files that I was revisiting, although only a couple of  years old . .   

One other thing that the (possibly) corrupt file was doing was creating a VCA every time it created a "generic" summing stack (even if all the assignments were the same), to control all the tracks with differing assignments, which I suppose is a cool feature, although I haven't noticed it before. Is this a preference, or song setting, because it's not happening in this empty test project?

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, mpmusicny said:

These were old  files that I was revisiting, although only a couple of  years old . .   

If possible, post one of those here. I'm sure there's an explanation for the behaviour you observed.

1 hour ago, mpmusicny said:

every time it created a "generic" summing stack

sorry, what's a "generic" summing stack (as opposed to, you know, a summing stack)?

1 minute ago, mpmusicny said:

Sorry- bad choice of words. By generic I meant the aux with a fresh bus that is created when tracks with differing assignments are combined in the summing stack, as opposed to the summing stack using the existing bus when all of the tracks feed that same bus. 

OK. Well, a VCA is only ever created for a stack if you create a Folder stack, not a summing stack. There is no setting which causes a VCA to be assigned when you create a summing stack (because then it wouldn't be a summing stack at all)