Keyboard shortcut to switch between number of count in bars?

thomasNorth
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hey all,

Is there any way to create a keyboard shortcut to switch between the number of bars one gets for recording? (i.e. I'm not talking about toggling the count-in, but the number of bars one gets to count in - aka: the recording setting UI: "When beginning, count in X bars").

I'd like to be able to quick switch between 1 or 2 bars of count in; along with the standard on/off toggle.

Appreciate this is a pretty niche process optimisation question, as it's a two click operation to change this via count-in settings, but every little bit of keyboard shortcut makes creation smoother!

Thanks Logic Pro Legends,

TN.

• Solution

Hi @thomasNorth,

A bit late to the party, but...

On 2/15/2023 at 2:06 AM, thomasNorth said:

Keyboard Maestro - for my purposes, it might be a bit of an excessive purchase just for this one shortcut

You can do this with Hammerspoon without paying money:

_SetLogicCountInDuration.thumb.gif.320719af938baaa04444f202d68aa57e.gif

On 2/14/2023 at 8:17 AM, gacki said:

(It's a bit unfortunate that the actual number of count-in bars isn't displayed in the UI.)

With the same script to toggle between Count-in settings with a single key, a notification can be shown letting you know what the current setting is. I just left the Project Settings window open in the GIF to show the setting changing, but the window doesn't even have to be open.

@thomasNorth, I can share the script if you like.

J. 

• Like 2

Hi @thomasNorth,

Hammerspoon's been around for quite a while but I've only just found out about it a few weeks ago. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

I'm attaching the script that does what you see in the GIF. Please note that the bit of the code that actually toggles between the Count-in settings is AppleScript, so when you first run this you will see this dialog pop up. Just click "Ok":

Hammerspoon_System_Events.png.1225c765d5331ebb13a8e186b2a10743.png

As for the Lua script file I'm sharing here, the code needs to go either in your Hammerspoon init.lua file ( ~/.hammerspoon, which is a hidden directory), or you could place the file itself in the same ~/.hammerspoon directory and require it in the init.lua file by adding this line to that file: require('SetLogicCountInSingleKey').

Either way you will have to reload the Hammerspoon config (Hammerspoon menu > Reload config) after adding my script.

Let me know if there's any questions, but there's quite a bit of comments in the script explaining what's going on.

J.

SetLogicCountInSingleKey.lua.zip

• Like 2

@thomasNorth,

Cool, you're welcome. Yes there's quite a bit that can be done with this, and if you're into programming then it's quite fun.

@ravez,

3 hours ago, ravez said:

This is awesome!

Do you think it's possible to make a shortcut that toggles between these two options?

pref.jpg

Yes it's possible, but not as nice as automating the Count-in settings because those are actually available as menu items, so that's why you don't even need to open the Project Settings window with the script. 

With those Region Color settings it's different, because those are only available through the Settings (formerly known as "Preferences") window, so the script necessarily needs to open the window, change the setting, then close the window. But works anyway, see attachment.

J.

ToggleLogicRegionColorSetting.lua.zip

You're welcome @ravez,

Yeah, having that controllable via shortcut would be better.

BTW, It is also possible to change that setting with the defaults (write) command, which will change it in Logic's preference file, but unfortunately doing it that way is useless unless Logic is not running. 🙄

Funnily enough, the corresponding setting in the preference file (IndividualRegionColors_n) is set with a boolean value (true or false), and it appears to work in the opposite way as one would expect.

In other words if IndividualRegionColors_n is set to false, in Logic the setting will be set to "Individual". If it's set to true, it will be set to "As Track Color" in Logic.

If you're curious, the full command to change it that way from the Terminal (again, Logic needs to be closed, so useless):

defaults write com.apple.logic10.plist IndividualRegionColors_n -bool false

Of course you change "false" to "true" in the command to set it to true.

J.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Screenshot2024-03-08at16_40_56.png.94c81733eeb9c429243d21939765eecd.png

@Jordi Torres,

How about programming two shortcuts for changing velocity of a selected note by +1/-1 and +5/-5?

I believe it would be interesting for all who often deal with piano roll and prefer handy usage of shortcuts which helps keep the mind focused ☺️

1 hour ago, Dmitry S. said:

Screenshot2024-03-08at16_40_56.png.94c81733eeb9c429243d21939765eecd.png

@Jordi Torres,

How about programming two shortcuts for changing velocity of a selected note by +1/-1 and +5/-5?

I believe it would be interesting for all who often deal with piano roll and prefer handy usage of shortcuts which helps keep the mind focused ☺️

Hi Dmitry, this old post, still applies today:

J.

• Like 2
  • Love 1