What's the use of the prompt asking whether to close the project window when making a new project?

Pampy
Go to solution Solved by scg,

Good day! I'm honestly happy with logic pro but somehow there are some things that quite doesn't make sense to me.

I always have to click whether to close or don't close the projects window whenever creating a new one. I do get it if you want to drag data from another one, it would be so useful, but the main caveat is when you click the other window to check or even click the data to the other project window, it loads for like 5 minutes (due to reloading core audio components) making it senseless. Do you guys know if i'm doing something wrong? If not, is there any way to stop prompting me this senseless prompt?

CleanShot 2023-02-21 at 23.13.44@2x.png

• Solution

You may already know this, but Logic is known to behave incorrectly (in some circumstances at least) when multiple projects are open at once. My guess is this prompt was included because of that issue, while at the same time giving those who want to live dangerously (or who know they'll be clear of the problem cases) the option of opening multiple projects at once if they want to.

Unless there's a setting or feature I'm not aware of (possible), I don't think there's a way to disable the prompt. In any case, the best approach may be just to close any currently open project before opening or creating a new one.

Edit: Cancel that - good news. Check Settings->General->Project Handling. I'd never gone looking for it before because I always just close open projects before opening a new one, but it looks like you can in fact turn that prompt off. (Double-edit: Just be aware of the risk though 🙂)

Edited by scg
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

The default behaviour - with the prompt - is the best, imo.

If you have a project open, and go to open a new one, 99% of the time you want to close the old one first (for well-discussed reasons).

If you turn this setting off, have a project open, and go to open a new one, you'll have two projects open, and it will be very easy for people who don't realise what's happening (especially new users), and *think* Logic is just opening one project at a time, to end up having 16 projects open, and all of them (potentially) getting corrupted.

If the prompt is annoying, then close your current project before opening a new one, and you'l never see it - and still be in control of what you want loaded at any time.

Edited by des99
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, scg said:

You may already know this, but Logic is known to behave incorrectly (in some circumstances at least) when multiple projects are open at once. My guess is this prompt was included because of that issue, while at the same time giving those who want to live dangerously (or who know they'll be clear of the problem cases) the option of opening multiple projects at once if they want to.

Unless there's a setting or feature I'm not aware of (possible), I don't think there's a way to disable the prompt. In any case, the best approach may be just to close any currently open project before opening or creating a new one.

Edit: Cancel that - good news. Check Settings->General->Project Handling. I'd never gone looking for it before because I always just close open projects before opening a new one, but it looks like you can in fact turn that prompt off. (Double-edit: Just be aware of the risk though 🙂)

saved me seconds! love it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pampy said:

saved me seconds! love it!

I would strongly consider against using that setting, like des99 before me. The only reason you're getting that prompt is because you're trying to open a new project without having closed the current one first, which is known to create big issues (like project corruption) in Logic Pro. 

I would keep the default setting, and get into a habit to always close a project before you open a new one. That way you'll never see the prompt again, and you'll never run into project corruption issues. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hey david, i just realized I always forget to close  the old one, in which i will revert it to default settings.

But this always grind my gears, have you ever considered using 2 project at once to copy datas (just as the prompt says)? 

If not because it’s impossible, why not logic offers to have a setting that closes the old project every time without prompt.

12 hours ago, Pampy said:

have you ever considered using 2 project at once to copy datas (just as the prompt says)? 

When I have to, I choose File > Import > Logic Projects... which allows me to copy any data I want without opening 2 projects at the same time. 

12 hours ago, Pampy said:

why not logic offers to have a setting that closes the old project every time without prompt.

A valid question. I have lobbied Apple to do that for years now and it's one of the mysteries that I'll never understand. Like allowing you to move the project start marker even though that's been widely known as being buggy for at least one decade, probably more. 

• Love 1

On 2/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, Pampy said:

why not logic offers to have a setting that closes the old project every time without prompt.

Because it needs to know what to do with the old Project. Close it with saving or without ? Both can be equally disastrous.

And, to play devil's advocate, there actually are cases where having two Projects open is an actual advantage. Like, to compare two arrangements, or to copy sections of an Environment patch. If you disable Core Audio, you can have several Projects open without problems or Project corruption.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Because it needs to know what to do with the old Project. Close it with saving or without ? Both can be equally disastrous.

And, to play devil's advocate, there actually are cases where having two Projects open is an actual advantage. Like, to compare two arrangements, or to copy sections of an Environment patch. If you disable Core Audio, you can have several Projects open without problems or Project corruption. In any normal situation, Selective Track Import is the better choice, though.

Oh i see, so disabling both of the core audio would be the best case scenario then. Not that useful but better than nothing. I still wanted that 'always close project' as an option though.

18 minutes ago, Pampy said:

I still wanted that 'always close project' as an option though.

Honestly and as @fuzzfilth explained it's best to never automate the closing of a project or the decision to save or not save the project and leave it to the user to make that decision manually. When you're in control of saving your own files in the desired state you will make less mistakes. 

I wouldn't mind it if Logic were to force you to close a project before opening another one while prompting you to save or not save. It would avoid many disasters for users who don't realize the potential danger of having multiple projects opened while Core Audio is on. The wording of the alert that Logic gives is really way too soft. It downplays those dangers, making it sound that as long as you need to copy something from one project to another, it's okay to open them both. It's not. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 11.14.37 AM.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I strongly agree about asking us to close the project, but not really into asking us whether to leave it open. It’s not that useful and just like you guys said, having 2 projects open is a dangerous habit.

Apple provided an option to not ask us to close the project but not putting ‘always close project’. Because I think, logic asking us to save the project is really good enough prompt.

• 10 months later...

I wouldn't mind it much if Logic Pro would respect the Mac OS setting (Prefs>Keyboard>Shortcuts:   Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls). I have that setting checked yet I can't navigate the dialog box buttons with the keyboard. I hate it when every time I have to reach for the mouse to click one of the buttons.

Edited by Harvey Walls

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 7:44 PM, Harvey Walls said:

I wouldn't mind it much if Logic Pro would respect the Mac OS setting (Prefs>Keyboard>Shortcuts:   Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls). I have that setting checked yet I can't navigate the dialog box buttons with the keyboard. I hate it when every time I have to reach for the mouse to click one of the buttons.

You're correct. 

On the other hand you can use keys to "click" a button. In that specific alert: 

• Return for Close
  • Command + D for Don't Close
  • Escape for Cancel

• David Nahmani changed the title to What's the use of the prompt asking whether to close the project window when making a new project?