I have 10.3 book, should I buy 10.5?

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi everyone!

New member here with my first question: the latest version of Logic I can run on my Mac (late 2012 Mini) is 10.6. I bought the book when it was still 10.3, and it’s been terrific! I’m just wondering if there’s much value in buying the book for 10.5? I figured buying 10.6 would make sense since it’s likely the last book I’d be buying for quite some time, but there doesn’t seem to be a book for 10.6?

Also sorry if this was already covered in a thread, I couldn’t find it in search.  

Anyways any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

Edited by John Sullivan
  • Like 1

• Solution

Hi John, welcome to Logic Pro Help ! Hope you like it here. 

You are correct that there is no 10.6 book as 10.6 didn't offer enough new functionality over 10.5. Logic Pro 10.6 was released shortly after 10.5 and was essentially the same, so if you use my 10.5 book it will work perfectly with Logic Pro 10.6. 

My 10.3 and 10.5 books were quite different. In the 10.5 book I introduced new lessons on Live Loops, Quick Sampler, using instrument and effect plug-ins, integrate your workflow with various newer features (step sequencer, DMD creation from samples, Quick Sampler, Live Loops etc...). 

My 10.5 book and the current book "Logic Pro" which was written with Logic Pro 10.7 are on the other hand quite similar, the biggest differences being: 

• Updated screenshots for 10.7,
  • New Lesson 11 on Mixing with Dolby Atmos.

So if I were you, I would purchase the newest 10.7 book, it will work fine with Logic 10.6, only you won't have access to the Dolby Atmos feature so you won't be able to use the new Lesson 11. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Hi John, welcome to Logic Pro Help ! Hope you like it here. 

You are correct that there is no 10.6 book as 10.6 didn't offer enough new functionality over 10.5. Logic Pro 10.6 was released shortly after 10.5 and was essentially the same, so if you use my 10.5 book it will work perfectly with Logic Pro 10.6. 

My 10.3 and 10.5 books were quite different. In the 10.5 book I introduced new lessons on Live Loops, Quick Sampler, using instrument and effect plug-ins, integrate your workflow with various newer features (step sequencer, DMD creation from samples, Quick Sampler, Live Loops etc...). 

My 10.5 book and the current book "Logic Pro" which was written with Logic Pro 10.7 are on the other hand quite similar, the biggest differences being: 

• Updated screenshots for 10.7,
  • New Lesson 11 on Mixing with Dolby Atmos.

So if I were you, I would purchase the newest 10.7 book, it will work fine with Logic 10.6, only you won't have access to the Dolby Atmos feature so you won't be able to use the new Lesson 11. 

Oh great! Thanks David! That actually makes sense, since 10.6 will be covered in 10.7’s book, duh-uh! It also sets me up for a version upgrade if I buy another Mac at some point.

I’ll do that then, thanks for the advice, and the quick reply! Your book is very user friendly, it got me up and running in minutes.

• Like 1