Reamping Latency Question

noisenet

My studio guitar rig consists of 8 amplifier heads in my control room and 4 speaker cabinets (in another part of the house) all connected to my KHE 8x4 Amp/Cab Selector switching unit. Very convenient for selecting amp and speaker combinations without having to crawl behind my amp wall and move cables. The downside, however, is that, while I often like to blend the sounds of two amplifiers together, multiple mics on each for an enhanced sound, this configuration only allows me to play through one amp at a time. 

A situation like this is a perfect candidate for reamping - record my DI signal, then record tracks of whatever amps/speakers I want for that 'take' - one at a time.

An issue I'm running into, however, is in the slight latency that occurs in the roundtrip of my DI signal out to an amp/mic and back into my interface. For example - I run the DI signal out to one of my Marshalls and into a Splawn 4x12 cab with Celestion Greenback speakers. For a nice huge sound, I'd also like that amp to be running into my Vintage 30's loaded Bogner cabinet. I can't run them at the same time as one is 8 ohms, the other is 16 ohms. So if I can make a pass of each, that's just as good. The problem, however, is that after I've recorded the first pass (greenbacks), if I play that back, with the mics/tracks on the Bogner cab armed, I'm getting a very phasey sound. 

If I insert the I/O plugin on the DI track, ping it and then record it, the resulting track lines up perfectly so no problem there.

The problem is when playing back the already recorded track, then arming the next track, I want to hear what the two sound like together without having to record a full pass to check it, or perhaps make some adjustments to the amp, which I need to hear in real time, before recording the second pass. With the phasing going on this just isn't possible.

I thought perhaps if I inserted the Sample Delay plugin on the track onto which I'm recording the second pass (or the track stack inside of which are the separate tracks for the multiple mics) and set it to the latency shown in the I/O plugin (after ping) that would sort it out, but it doesn't (even if I set the latency offset in the I/O plugin to zero, & no matter how I set the Sample Delay, I cannot stop the phasing. So I can't accurately hear what the two will sound like together.

Additionally, the value returned when I ping it is changing, sometimes 232 samples, sometimes as much as 450 samples. When nothing changes in the signal path, even when recording two takes, same DI source and the same amp - literally nothing changing.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do so I can hear the playback of the first track while also hearing the sound coming through the mics for the second track?

Edited by noisenet

4 hours ago, noisenet said:

I thought perhaps if I inserted the Sample Delay plugin on the track onto which I'm recording the second pass

I may not have completely grasped the situation, but wouldn't the track you are recording the second pass to be the already delayed one (due to latency), compared to the already recorded one, so inserting a Sample Delay into it would only make the situation worse?

If so, you would need to put the Sample Delay into the signal chain of the first track's playback, no?