MIDI Controller Helper Script - Expand the controls available

Tuesimah

I made a Script that you can use to completely map a Plug-In with a standard 8 Faders, 8 Knobs and buttons controller. I've been setting it up with KORG nanoKontrol2, but it should work with any controller with buttons. All you do is use a Learn Plug-In control to map plug-in and then set a button to use from a menu. The script can be saved and Logic keeps all the Learn Plug-In mappings with the saved script. 

I got it in my head to completely map a MIDI controller to a Plug-In, and got frustrated with 8 faders and 8 knobs being enough to map most Plug-Ins. I didn't like the having to make the tradeoffs. Some controllers have scenes, but in really advanced synths you can run out of MIDI CCs too. Once I learned about the target parameter, and that it saves the mapping with the script It could be something really powerful and useful. 

I'm finding this script to be more straightforward and useful than Logic's own mapping, Smart Controls and the Learn Controller assignments. It's easy to swap to a different configuration with a script preset. You can also map more than one Plug-In and set up controls for a whole Channel Strip.  

I settled on a default configuration for my MIDI controllers that works with this. The knobs are CCs 21-28,  faders are 31-38, Solos 41-48, Mutes 51-58, Recs 71-78 and Select 81-88. I was setting this up with KORG nanoKontrol Studio in mind, which has 4 sets of buttons. I changed to configuring it for just a regular nanoKontrol2 and set the transport buttons to what was the select buttons. This is how I labeled the buttons in the menu, but the MIDI CCs are listed with it as well. You can change the CCs in the script at the top configuration pretty easily, though I haven't tested changing it yet. 

I'm curious about what people think of this script and looking for feedback. I tried to make it as easy to use as possible for non-programmers.

MIDI Controller Helper.pst Advanced Helper Template.js

• Like 1
  • Love 2