Need scripter code for cymbal choke

giex44

I need help with this. I don't really know how to code. And I've tried my best to figure it out to no avail. haha.

I'm using a generic digital drum kit with the choke being triggered on its module but not being triggered in Logic.

I've monitored the MIDI using MidiView and I see that when I'm holding the supposed choke trigger, it's registering a note-off event with 0 velocity.

What I need to happen is if every time there is a note on event C#2 and there is an immediate note off-velocity 0 event (right before the note end), E0 will play with the same velocity of C#2. 

I hope someone could help me from here. Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by giex44

• giex44 changed the title to Need scripter code for cymbal choke
8 hours ago, giex44 said:

a note-off event with 0 velocity.

Are you sure about that ? Is it really a NOTE OFF event with 0 velocity ? Or is it a NOTE ON event with 0 velocity ? In any case, what is the actual Note Number in either the NOTE ON or the NOTE OFF ?

if...there is a note on event C#2 and there is an immediate note off-velocity 0 event (right before the note end)

This does not make sense on several levels.

On an electronic drumkit, there is no note length, as you don't hold your stick to the drum head for longer notes. There is always a matching NOTE OFF (or NOTE ON vel0) sent automatically very close to the NOTE ON (depending on the drum kit this can be as short as a couple of milliseconds), so there is no point in checking that for an IF...THEN conditional branch.

Also, a NOTE OFF event cannot be before the note end. It is the note end.

Lastly, you need to define immediately, as this can be anything from 'a few microseconds' to 'maybe next Monday', depending who you ask.

E0 will play with the same velocity of C#2. 

I guess you're referring to the "Hit a Cymbal, then quickly choke it"-samples of Drum Kit Designer. I have found these to be very awkward, because they will do precisely this when you have already hit the cymbal and then try to choke it. So it sounds crash (from the hit) crash-choke (from the choke). I'd rather suggest to send an All Notes Off and/or All Sound Off event to kill all the sounding notes immediately (immediately as in when you actually want to).

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1