Logic Pro Keeps restarting

mts52

Recently Logic Pro keeps restarting for no obvious reason. cpu usage is at a minimum so cannot work out why this is happening.

This happens no matter which song I open. Tried bypassing all control surfaces which was suggested in another post but that does not change things.

So frustrating. Posting here in the hope that someone else has the same problem. 

Since no one's answered yet, I'll suggest providing some more detail. Can you describe the behavior? When you say restart, what is it doing exactly? Spontaneously relaunching? Crashing (with an accompanying crash window/report)? Or something else?

• Like 2

Latest version of logic and macOS Monterey.

It doesn’t crash logic. It just restarts. This is particularly frustrating especially when it happens during a bounce of my mix. When it restarts during playback it just plays again from the beginning. When it happens during a bounce it just stops and then I have to restart the bounce.

During playback it will sometimes just restart from the beginning. Minimal cpu usage and large buffer. When it happens during a bounce it just stops and I have to then restart it. Only once did it crash logic and I sent report to Apple. Not sure I understand if it is core audio problem or not.

I understand, and I believe you 🙂 I still think it'd be useful to know if you have that particular notification enabled. (For one thing, just about any relevant data is good to have when troubleshooting. Also, I'm pretty sure there are cases where I've been 'sure' about things when troubleshooting, and then discovered my assumptions were wrong. Not saying that's what's going on here, but as long as the problem remains unsolved, it might make sense to leave any and all possible causes on the table.)

It is only started happening recently. Currently on Logic Pro 10.7.7

Interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, iMac 2009 running Monterey.

Currently playing file using inbuilt audio however as it is very sporadic I would probably have to play songs many times for it to happen. Will continue listening using internal audio to see if I can get it to happen during a continuous repeat.

Yes David, exactly that. Currently playing track on loop using iMac internal to see if I can get it to happen again. The difference is that when it happens during playback as you said it immediately restarts from the beginning. When bouncing it stops and the file is not written. I then have to restart the bounce.

Yes because when I am bouncing down I have the cycle locators set for the whole track.

Currently cycling a 16bar loop using the inbuilt audio but as luck would have it so far I can't get it to happen. What I will try is not having cycle on when bouncing down. Will just set the beginning and end in the bounce down dialogue manually.

1 minute ago, Malcolm Stainton said:

Will just set the beginning and end in the bounce down dialogue manually.

Alternatively, you can drag with the Marquee to select what you want to bounce. Or you can press Command-A to select all your regions (and perhaps move your end point manually in the bounce dialog if you want it past the end of the last region for reverb tails etc...). 

Just now, Malcolm Stainton said:

As I said it is sporadic.

Worst issues to troubleshoot obviously. 

The fact that you have a cycle on for the length of the project makes me wonder if you aren't possibly hitting a key command by mistake, which would trigger the playback resuming at the beginning of the cycle? Either you doing it by mistake, or the keyboard malfunctioning, or a stray controller assignment...?

In my searches on the net I did see someone suggesting to bypass all control surfaces which I have done. When bouncing down I do it in real time so I know if it all went ok. I am not touching the keyboard at all. Back to the Scalett 2i2 and cycling 16 bars continuously to see if I can get it to happen again. When it happens during a bounce it doesn't restart. It just stops. It only restarts from the beginning of the cycle range when in normal playback.

hi guys;

same happen also to me ....

i have 2 systems 

1 - macbook air m1 base model with Big sur and 10.7.4  - uad apollo8p + 8 - like a breeze never had this issue

2 - one week old mac studio m1 max base model with Monterey and 10.7.7 - uad apollo 8p+ 8 - same issue of this topic ....

randomly it acts as the cycle is on while is not..........

i tought it was the external drive ... so i move the projects on the internal but it is the same... 

is not related by the session .... it happened to me also with a single external midi track .... or i had perfect days with more than 100 track sessions..... 

18 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Hi @francesco and welcome to Logic Pro Help ! 🙂

What do you mean by that exactly? Does the playhead repeatedly cycles over the locators even when Cycle is off? That's not what the OP is experiencing here? 

i mean (sorry for my poor english) that logic act as the cycle is on, so it reach a point and start back from the last playhead location ..... but cycle is off.

a note. .... this don't happen where the cycle is grayed .... if i have a cylce on bars 50-58 and cycle is on it plays just 50-58 .... then i bypass the cycle and move the playhead to bar 72 and press play ..... it start from 72; it goes forward into the session until a point where it restart automatically at 72 ....

but this happen randomly and for randomly i mean that is not on a single session or a single plugin issue ... it happened also with an empty or just external midi track session

30 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Hi @francesco and welcome to Logic Pro Help ! 🙂

thank you 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having this problem as described by OP as well on both my Old Mac Pro and new Mac Studio M1 Ultra. Logic 10.7.7 / UAD Apollo 8 /Monterey 12.6.3. When Cycle mode is on Logic will randomly restart play at the beginning of the cycle. Have tried many forms of trouble shooting and am unable to find a workaround or make it repeatable. 

It does seem to happen after making an edit of some kind in the project, although it doesn't seem to matter if it is a MIDI edit, and automation move, or and audio edit. In my workflow there are typically a lot of instrument plugins, but as others have observed it can also happen in very simple projects.

this happened to me for a while; resetting the nvram and smc (on my previous intel imac) fixed it... for a moment.

it turned out to be my roli lumi controller, sending some problematic data. once i switched controllers, the problem went away (for the record, the lumi also caused logic's filter plugin to sweep the filter 😳).

so... try disconnecting your controller, reopening logic... see if the problem continues. for me, at least, this resolved the issue (in fact, i no longer have the lumi).

• Like 1