Velocity events dimmed when turning off Automation

dmitch57
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Not a huge deal, but this is weird:

• Edit a MIDI region in the piano roll editor
  • Note Velocity is visible in the automation pane
  • Turn off the automation for the track with that region

At this point the velocity events are dimmed to light grey, as if - like automation events - they are disabled somehow. But they are not disabled; they are still velocity events, and you can edit them. They just don't look like they normally do (when automation is enabled). 

VelocityColorOff.gif.967f8680a3bc29be59a83b19b429b2a8.gif

This is a bit more inconvenient when editing multiple regions at once; normally (when auto is on) you can distinguish different regions' velocity events by their colors. With auto off, they are all grey.

Is this just a bug? Is there a way I can keep the colors of the velocity events when automation is off?

3 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

Thanks. More and more, I see Logic's attempt at presenting and accessing MIDI data and automation data in the same place, with the same tools, as....misguided. They just are not the same thing at all.

I totally agree. In Apple's quest to unify the UI and make it look simple, we get a whole bunch of nonsense and inconsistent behavior that comes along. It's kinda like the (horrible) idea of making Drum Machine Designer look like it's a software instrument that's in the instrument slot of a software instrument channel strip. I'm not a fan.