A little iphone surface controller helper!

Mamajolai

I made a little Touchosc helper for my iphone so I can see which knob does what on my X-touch mini. It follows what ever plugin is loaded, I've also made custom settings for the xtouch so I can edit what ever plugin is loaded in Logic, I can easily switch which insert slot the controller should target. Very cool!

All I want from the rather complex mackie mc control surface protocol is the vpots and being able to switch plugin parameter page, so this seem to work also very well. I get a LOT more out of this little controller now. I use the CSParameterOrder-trick so every plugin is ready to go so to say.....only parameters I want to use. As expected I can't get the leds on the xtouch to work so I'll probably just turn them off in the editor.

Edited by Mamajolai
  • Like 2

Nicely done! Some similarities with my setup (though I use a custom Mac app to mirror the MCU display).

I've not used much OSC stuff - how are you setting this up in Logic - are you using the hexler TouchOSC LogicPad/LogicTouch control surface with their TouchOSC app?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JakobP said:

May I ask what app that is ?

My own (hence, "custom" 🙂 ), which I'm building (off and on) to support my own custom control config, as the hardware I use doesn't have built-in displays. It will also be able to support custom feedback, to be able to correctly manage lights/buttons on whatever controllers you are using etc.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

That's totally cool, I'd like to see some screenshots, just out of interest…

Here is a screenshot of my Touchosc controller, basically it's the best bits from the Logicpad, with better looks.... the layout with 8 encoders times 2, is because of the xtouch mini, it has 8 encoders. On this I can see the plugin parameters for page 2 right away....and I can target insert slots with the yellow insert edit bar....it tells you what plugin you are currently editing, and what audio track...tattletale.thumb.png.c62a73bf985d0bf1f35213cd79977fa5.png

Edited by Mamajolai
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mamajolai said:

That's totally cool, I'd like to see some screenshots, just out of interest…

I don't really want to put anything online at this time... (it's nice, though! 😉 )

It may see the light of day one day...

Edited by des99

Right, I've made even further progress and modifications: when I press a button on the xtouch, it choses insert slot 1 and loads the plugin parameters, at the same time Keyboard maestro is triggered by the same button and a macro in KM sends a midi cc to the ipad which then sends touchosc message to Logic and loads the plugin parameters for the touchosc controller. So the xtouch and the ipad is in total sync when it comes to what parameters and what slot is loaded. Cool. Once you get your head around the midi flying all over the place this is great fun! 🤣

What you've achieved so far, Mamajolai, opens up a new approach to use MIDI controllers (again) to me. They were always too big or without led's for names/ status of encoder. But with your app and my iphone, it's possible. Wow.

What would I need to re-build it what you've done?

- Touchosc for both macOS and iOS

- is Keyboard Maestro relevant?

- any MIDI controller, right?

Bravo to you, Mamajolai! I am impressed. It's smart and tiny and has everything I would need outside a big studio.

• Like 1

I've bought touchosc for ios, the editor for mac is sort of free, just a little nag screen once in a while for a few seconds. Keyboard maestro is good if you want to sync the xtouch (for exemple) and the ios-device...

Let me know if you got any questions, I've really struggled to understand some parts, like logics quirky controller assignments window which has a mind of it's own. But as Des says: keep a backup of the com.apple.logic.pro.cs and this system should be rather stable. Great fun also! What ever plugin comes up in Logic, xtouch works right away and you can look at the ios device as a quick guide. It's like a controller with a mega cool screen!

Edited by Mamajolai
  • Love 1

Great! And thanks for your offer, will definitely ask for help. If you think on making a "how to" and post it on youtube, please share the link here in this topic!

Awesome, really! And cheap. I like it that I could lay down my iPhone anywhere I have space on my desk. And still see, what's going on. And just 1 single hardware to be bought (the controller).

I just wonder, why the Logic App isn't capable of the same: show me the # and names but let it control via hardware-knobs. Or am I am missing something?

Edited by Sir Hannes

Logic and the control surface protocols (mackie) is pretty set in its old ways...it works very good for a Mackie controller but you have to massage it abit to make it work the way you want.

Just realised: I think you can also run Touchosc locally just as I have been using it on a IOS device. That way one could put the Touchosc "screen" on a second mac monitor. (If you don't wanna use IOS at all). 

Edit: worked a bit on the knobs: don't know if it's better 🤑

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 13.43.47.png

Edited by Mamajolai