Set up a scale into the piano roll

PhilouSound
Go to solution Solved by hiland,

I never (well, rarely) say things can't be done in Logic, because I sometimes then find out I was wrong 🙂 That said, I'm not aware that Logic has a direct corollary to Ableton's 'scale fold' feature.

However, there's a workaround of sorts. You can create a set of very short (edit: and muted) 'dummy' notes in a region, specifying the scale of interest (you can use the 'scale quantize' feature to streamline this process), and then use the 'fold' feature to restrict the display to just this scale. A little kludge-y, but if you really find it useful, you could streamline by including a bunch of 'template regions' in a default or template project. For example, you could make template regions with the scales or scale types (which you could then transpose as needed) of greatest interest, and put them in track alternatives, or end-to-end on a single track, and then just grab one when you need it. Here is a video that describes something similar (although the video is quite long and makes it seem a little complicated).

Now that I've said all that, maybe someone will offer a better suggestion...

Edited by scg
  • Like 1

Hi SCG,

Thank you very much. I see this king of way of doing but it's not just "doing in 1 click" 🙂
As I need sometimes to do it several times in a session it's a little bit painful.
For me it's should be a basic feature and certainly not so difficult to implement.
I will keep waiting to be sure if there is a "normal" solution or not but thank you very much again for your reply.

• Like 1

Thank you Dox.

Yes, you probably right.

1  Play the notes on the keyboard in Logic Remote
Ok it can make the job but it will so more simple, helpful and easy going the way I ask

2  learn your scales
I know my scale (I know about music enough) but it's a question of feature we can expect from a software that the purpose is to help in term of workflow (like Logic has so much already).

3  Use Ableton
Could be a solution

But it seems that effectively this feature is not into Logic so that answer my question.

I'm most surprise as it's look that not so much people as the same question.

Thank you for all your answers

12 minutes ago, Dox said:

Learn your scales

In the OP's defense, convenience functions like this don't necessarily require a lack of skills or knowledge to find useful. Sometimes it's nice just to reduce cognitive load so you can focus on other things.

In any case, a couple additional comments. There is an option missing from the above list, which is the one I mentioned earlier. Yes it's a workaround, and yes it's not a one-click solution, but using an entirely different DAW isn't a one-click solution either 😁 So, it might be worth keeping the 'dummy notes' option in mind. (As for Logic Remote, I'm not sure what feature is being referenced here, so I can't comment on that directly.)

• Like 1

PhilouSound,

How about just putting in the five notes NOT in your chosen scale, as attached below, and then simply putting in your scale notes as desired on the clear lanes which are the scale.

Eb Minor.png

Edited by Dox