Using 2 Behringer Audio Interfaces with Macbook Pro/Logic Pro - Go or No?

rocknrollchef

Hello:

I currently have a 4-channel Behringer audio interface UMC404HD, which works fine, new it's around $180

Now I'm looking at an 18-channel (is that right?) Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface, it's around $300 new.

QUESTION: If I get a 2nd Behringer (2 channel or 4 channel), is it possible to use BOTH interfaces at the same time with my Mcbook Pro & Logic?

Yes I know the 8-channel unit might make more sense, but not sure I want to spend the money (or need that many tracks). But now I'm mostly just curious if anyone here has tried using 2 interfaces at once?

THANK YOU

chef

Edited by rocknrollchef

Keep in mind the "18 channels" means 8 analog channels, 8 channels over ADAT and 2 channels over SPDIF. I used to have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that was like that. As far as I was concerned it was 8 ins and 8 outs because I didn't own any digital devices with SPDIF or ADAT.

For the ADAT, typically it would be an eight channel preamp or mixer with A/D converters, or even a second Behringer interface! For SPDIF maybe a digital synth or a stereo preamp of some kind. The bottom line being you don't really get 18 ins and 20 outs without adding outboard gear that has digital outputs.

Out of the box, it would give you the same analog channel count...8...as two UMC404HD's set up as an aggregate.

• Like 1

As well as the reasons given above by enossified, if you get a second UMC404HD you will also have 12 Line Outs instead of 10.

I would say that a second UMC404HD is the better option because it gives you more versatility in terms of desk space.

I have been using my UMC404HD for the last 5 years and never found it lacking in any respect.

P.S. I used an aggregate setup for a number of years...Focusrite Pro 40 for analog sources (mikes, guitars, analog synths) plus a Yamaha Motif workstation that supported 16 channels of audio out of the synth plus 32 channels of MIDI over a Firewire cable. I daisy chained the two units and it worked perfectly.