New M2 Pro and M2 Max MacBook Pro + New M2 Mac mini

Cheers des99, it does seem hit and miss who is affected. How much memory are you running in your machine?

There is a thread over at audiosciencereview where it seems a variety of USB DAC's are affected. The issue has been raised several times on the RME forums, and I've also reached out to the local agent without a resolution.

Those affected can typically reproduce the problem when approaching higher memory pressures on an M1, especially if the machine hasn't seen a full shutdown in a few days.

I don't intend to derail the discussion here but when I saw this thread, I thought it might be an opportunity to pick the collective brains of creative professionals who might have moved from M1 to M2 architecture.

Edited by alye
Removed bad weblink
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alye said:

How much memory are you running in your machine?

16GB, and I do hit it quite hard...

1 minute ago, alye said:

I don't intend to derail the discussion here but when I saw this thread, I thought it might be an opportunity to pick the collective brains of creative professionals who might have moved from M1 to M2 architecture.

Sure, definitely. Hope there's a solution or fix for those affected, sounds super-annoying...

On 5/25/2023 at 5:25 AM, des99 said:

16GB, and I do hit it quite hard...

Sure, definitely. Hope there's a solution or fix for those affected, sounds super-annoying...

I would give very little credence to any report of computer issues from anyone who hasn't restarted their computer 'in a couple of days' before using a heavy program like Logic. And I would bet $$$ that many of the users complaining about this are A: Running Chrome with lots of tabs, B: Running out of disk space, and C : Running their buffers at 32. 

Restarting one's computer is troubleshooting step #1. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 8:22 AM, alye said:

Cheers des99, it does seem hit and miss who is affected. How much memory are you running in your machine?

There is a thread over at audiosciencereview where it seems a variety of USB DAC's are affected. The issue has been raised several times on the RME forums, and I've also reached out to the local agent without a resolution.

Those affected can typically reproduce the problem when approaching higher memory pressures on an M1, especially if the machine hasn't seen a full shutdown in a few days.

I've been getting a glitch a handful of times so far where YouTube runs at something like 8x/16x faster, with chipmunk-style high pitch. Haven't been able to nail it down; I just unplug and plug in interface again to reset.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Danalberto231 said:

it seemed that having two extra performance cores should outweigh those options, even if they're 5-10% slower each on single-core performance. 

M2 p-cores are slower than M1 cores? I thought they were about 5-10% faster?

Edit, from a quick Google: "The high-performance cores in M2 Max are reaching a higher frequency (in Ghz) than M1 Max. M2 Max hit ~3.6 Ghz while M1 Max hit ~3.1 Ghz."

So yes, the M2 cores are faster than M1... Or am I misunderstanding what you were comparing with when you said M2 p-cores are "5-10% slower each on single-core performance"? Slower than what?

16 minutes ago, des99 said:

M2 p-cores are slower than M1 cores? I thought they were about 5-10% faster?

Edit, from a quick Google: "The high-performance cores in M2 Max are reaching a higher frequency (in Ghz) than M1 Max. M2 Max hit ~3.6 Ghz while M1 Max hit ~3.1 Ghz."

So yes, the M2 cores are faster than M1... Or am I misunderstanding what you were comparing with when you said M2 p-cores are "5-10% slower each on single-core performance"? Slower than what?

The entry-level M2 Pro has two fewer performance cores than the higher-tier M1 Pro/M1 Max processors. 

I believe @Danalberto231 was reiterating on the point made repeatedly in this thread that the two extra P-cores of the previous generation more than make up for the higher performance of the individual cores of the M2 series. 

• Like 1

Just now, analogika said:

The entry-level M2 Pro has two fewer performance cores than the higher-tier M1 Pro/M1 Max processors. 

Sure, but single core speed isn't affected.

1 minute ago, analogika said:

I believe @Danalberto231 was reiterating on the point made repeatedly in this thread that the two extra P-cores of the previous generation more than make up for the higher performance of the individual cores of the M2 series.

Ah, so he was referring to the *M1* cores being 5-10% slower than M2 cores.
I get it now - thanks for pointing that out! 👍

For what its worth, I have an m1 Mac Mini 16gbRAM in my main studio, and an m2 32GbRAM Mac Mini in my home studio,  I use about 60/70 audio tracks with a few software instrument tracks and various plug ins,  neither of the Mac Minis break a sweat or make any kind of audible fan noise at all,   and for my work, I can tell no difference between the M1 MacMini and the M2 MacMini!    

Both fabulous

• Like 1

Got my mac mini  m2pro 12/19 32gb 4TB a month or so ago. Haven't exercised Logic much but the bounce (usually mp3) process is 5-10 x faster (guesstimate).

I use PG Music Band in a Box for arrangements of backing tracks I use for performance. This software is very CPU/RAM intensive in regenerating tracks. With this new mac its at least 10 times faster.

All in all very happy. Purchased it from AAPL refurb store and saved a few hundred dollars

• Like 1