Sysex Fader Controlling Sysex Fader

GoodBear
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

I wasn't able to find an answer to this in the forum so far - Can you use one sysex fader to control another fader? I'm making mix/mic position macros, and I'm hoping to create a system where I can exclude certain faders from sending to tracks when I press "send all fader values (except sysex). But as I've set up a Sysex fader or button, then sent that to another fader, I can't get it to do what it's normal behavior was when it was just a fader sending information... or get it to do much of anything, really. 

Any help would be great appreciated. Thank you! 

Hi GoodBear,

13 hours ago, GoodBear said:

Can you use one sysex fader to control another fader?

Yes, As long as the sysex fader is set up to output the same data the other fader is set up to respond to (as per its input settings), and as long as the sysex fader's output data is selected inside the sysex fader's editor:

Screenshot2023-04-16at11_27_30.png.8715985d5caaf648f3e6fcbaf91815c4.png

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

• Solution

Hey GoodBear,

14 minutes ago, GoodBear said:

I feel like this is what I'm getting wrong, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Here's what happens when I try to set up mine like you have it. What do I need to change? 

Screen Recording 2023-04-16 at 1.50.28 PM.mov

You need to add an event in the sysex fader's editor that matches the other fader's input configuration. You do that by choosing the type of event fro the dropdown menu, then clicking the plus sign button. If you've ever worked with the Event List editor, it's pretty much the same deal. After you create that event, you need to leave it selected before closing the sysex fader's editor.

Screenshot2023-04-16at23_11_50.png.ba0ff3e8be558e55d8c1f8a021b43a54.png

Screenshot2023-04-16at23_12_20.png.9f15307c2839781be8fc2b7747eb094e.png

J.

11 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hey GoodBear,

You need to add an event in the sysex fader's editor that matches the other fader's input configuration. You do that by choosing the type of event fro the dropdown menu, then clicking the plus sign button. If you've ever worked with the Event List editor, it's pretty much the same deal. After you create that event, you need to leave it selected before closing the sysex fader's editor.

J.

Ahhh, ok. This makes sense. But if I do this, will the fader information always be sent at a particular bar and beat? Like a 0 sent to volume controller at 1 1 1 1 as it’s shown here? Or can I just control it like a normal fader? 

33 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

It will work like a normal fader. The values in the position column actually determine the order in which the events will be sent out by the sysex fader (when you have more than one event in the sysex fader editor). 

Screenshot2023-04-16at23_43_40.png.457820ac787bc6383b6e60a7cba68ae7.png

J.

Oh, interesting! So could I potentially send a bunch of different signals out with the click of one sysex button, and a bunch of different values and controls set within the sysex editor box? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

It will work like a normal fader. The values in the position column actually determine the order in which the events will be sent out by the sysex fader (when you have more than one event in the sysex fader editor).

J.

This is awesome. Thank you! So much helpful information.

Is there anything within the sysex edit window that will let me control the value that I'm sending? Lets say I set up a sysex button and want to send a value of 30 to controller 7, and a value of 40 to controller 1. Is that possible? 

Hi GoodBear,

2 minutes ago, GoodBear said:

Is there anything within the sysex edit window that will let me control the value that I'm sending? Lets say I set up a sysex button and want to send a value of 30 to controller 7, and a value of 40 to controller 1. Is that possible? 

Yes, for that you would need to make sure you don't select those two events when closing the sysex fader editor window, and they will be sent "as is".

That's what I meant by "the behavior will be different depending on whether an event is selected or not" in my previous post. 

J.