No aliases produced when multitrack recording

Dynamic_Notes
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

This ones not new. Im sure its so simple Im just overlooking something. Ive looked through the manual, through the prefs, tried a new project in another account and cant figure out why I cant get alias copies. For example if I record 3 instrument tracks simultaneously they're all real midi regions. The only thing I can find in the manual is that the highlighted track will record the real copy and the others are an alias.

Any help appreciated.

2 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

The only thing I can find in the manual is that the highlighted track will record the real copy and the others are an alias.

Can you (or anyone) link to where in the documentation it says this? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm not seeing that...

• Solution
3 hours ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

For example if I record 3 instrument tracks simultaneously they're all real midi regions. The only thing I can find in the manual is that the highlighted track will record the real copy and the others are an alias.

Indeed that used to be the behavior so the manual may be outdated. Now Logic records independent MIDI regions on each track. 

If you want all 3 instruments to play the same MIDI region, you could create a track stack for the 3 instruments, and record the MIDI region on the main track of the stack. 

• Like 1

@David Nahmani Thankyou for that! I have manuals for Logic 10.5 but I'm pretty sure there is no reference to what version the later 3 I downloaded was. That was some months ago. Will check (not on my Mac at the mo).

I was on Apples website last night and I looked around and couldn't find reference to what version those pertained to. In any case I downloaded them.  Ive just checked the PDF and cant see any version. WOuld be nice if Apple would say when the manual is updated so you know if they need updating. (I like offline copies)

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, thepianoist said:

Is there any way we can request to have an option to go back to how it was? It made so much more sense with automatic alias generation. And you could always just convert aliases to real copies if you wanted to, but you can't do the opposite.

You can make feature requests here, although it (almost) goes without saying that it's anyone's guess as to if or when any particular feature will be implemented.

I know this is obvious, but you can of course delete the duplicates and shift-option-drag the primary region to replace the others with aliases. And of course you can use track stacks as previously mentioned.