Merge Stereo Delay and Tape Delay (includes mockup)

Danny Wyatt

I see no advantage of having 2 separate delays when these could be merged into a single plugin (maybe call it Delay 2, similar to what happened with Deesser 2?)

These would be my suggestions as a rough mockup, but you get the point (notice the buttons in the GLOBAL section that would allows us to switch between different options - Delay, Character, Modulation, Mix):

LogicMergeDelays-1.thumb.jpg.c94a49db30ddc9538d36f12dae0c8464.jpg

LogicMergeDelays-2.thumb.jpg.a814f017eef1576efdb951f12996a968.jpg

LogicMergeDelays-3.thumb.jpg.503aa93cbda4b99d2bc01aaf0c6c6829.jpg

LogicMergeDelays-4.thumb.jpg.eba7e59ad3336e395d27b2132382cf35.jpg

I get the idea, but for me that's one complex plug-in to deal with when you need a normal (non stereo) delay, which for me is 99% of the time. 

Also your UI is missing the Feedback and Freeze parameters. 

It would be a nice replacement for the Stereo Delay plug-in, but I want to keep my Tape Delay plug-in, where I can dial every parameter I want from one single pane. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Also your UI is missing the Feedback and Freeze parameters. 

First image

22 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

normal (non stereo) delay

Isn't it why the Stereo Link button exists...? 😉 If it's ON by default, you just need to deal with 1 knob/button for each parameter.

The reason for this suggestion is because I like how the Tape Delay has the character section, which would be nice to have on the Stereo Delay, for example. The same for Smoothing, Freeze and Modulation. 

That being said, this wouldn't necessary mean that those 2 would be replaced. We could have a Delay 2 plugin, similar to how you have the Multimeter and then you have the different sections available as separate plugins. So if you want to still use the Tape Delay, or the Stereo Delay, you could, but you would also have a "super" delay called Delay 2.

And before someone says "when then use the Tape Delay as Dual Mono", the thing is that Dual Mono won't have the crossed option, which is pretty great for more interesting rhythmic delays.

Another option, instead of having another plugin, would be the Tape Delay offering both Mono and Stereo versions inside the plugin itself. You would have 2 buttons the same way you have them when setting the plugin to Dual Mono, at the top, and you would pick which version you want to use. So in Mono it would be the way it is now, in Stereo it would change to the version I shared and everyone would be happy. I guess... at least I would, because I love both of them, but they both missing some interesting features that could be merged.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 3:37 AM, Danny Wyatt said:

Another option, instead of having another plugin, would be the Tape Delay offering both Mono and Stereo versions inside the plugin itself. You would have 2 buttons the same way you have them when setting the plugin to Dual Mono, at the top, and you would pick which version you want to use. So in Mono it would be the way it is now, in Stereo it would change to the version I shared and everyone would be happy. I guess... at least I would, because I love both of them, but they both missing some interesting features that could be merged.

Yes please!  I'd love this.  I love the tape delay plugin, and the stereo delay.  Merging them, or having a stereo option for the tape delay would be amazing!

How about if the Tape Delay had a mono/stereo option?  Hit stereo and the UI changes to look more like the Stereo Delay does now?  I'm in a UI/UX guy, so I'm not sure how complex that would be.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, Danny Wyatt said:

Another option, instead of having another plugin, would be the Tape Delay offering both Mono and Stereo versions inside the plugin itself. You would have 2 buttons the same way you have them when setting the plugin to Dual Mono, at the top, and you would pick which version you want to use.

Yes! I like that option much better, so that at least we get to keep our simple mono Tape Delay. 🙂 

• Like 1