Java used to create custom Alchemy waveforms no longer working [SOLVED]

SOLUTION: 

A while ago I shared a topic with a small "app" created by someone online where it would convert any wave into an Alchemy waveform that could be used on the oscillator or LFO. That worked great, but now I can't make it work anymore. I get a window saying that JAVA is not updated and I need to update it to 1.5, but I already installed the latest version which seems to be version 20.

image.png.7a8d54112f8fabf10d9e421d3440ba5f.png

I really have no experience with Java, so I'm probably missing something here.

Is anyone familiar enough with it that could solve this issue?

Also, is it possible to convert this into an actual app so it doesn't rely on Java, (maybe) making it more compatible with other macOS versions?

Here are the files if anyone wants to try them:

AlchemySampleLoader.zip

Edited by Danny Wyatt

Hi Danny,

I've done some Java stuff although I'm not such a big fan. I had a look at the files. Those jar files contain a manifest file that show they were created with Java internal version 1.6.0_07-b06 (which is Java SE 6 from 2006). This means that your Java version (and mine) is too new for these Jar files. 

You could try updating these jar files with the jar command from the command line:

Updating a JAR File (The Java™ Tutorials > Deployment > Packaging Programs in JAR Files)

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
Fix link
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Danny,

I've done some Java stuff although I'm not such a big fan. I had a look at the files. Those jar files contain a manifest file that show they were created with Java internal version 1.6.0_07-b06 (which is Java SE 6 from 2006). This means that your Java version (and mine) is too new for these Jar files. 

You could try updating these jar files with the jar command from the command line:

Updating a JAR File (The Java™ Tutorials > Deployment > Packaging Programs in JAR Files)

J.

Thanks for checking that and for the link. 

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I have no clue how Java works... How would I update the file? Just open Terminal and then add jar uf pathToJarFile ?

I tried that I get a warning:
'u' flag requires manifest, 'e' flag or input files to be specified!

I don't know what that means...

Can you clarify what needs to be done? Thanks

For what it's worth, the "Java updater within the Java control panel" has never actually worked for me.  (It inexplicably crashes somewhere along the way, and I never bothered to figure out why.)  But, you can go to java.com and simply download the latest installer.  That ought to work.  Your program should not be dependent upon any particular so-called "JRE = Java Runtime Environment."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

For what it's worth, the "Java updater within the Java control panel" has never actually worked for me

After installing from the link you shared, I can see this option, which I wasn't able to at all.

I can also say that the "app" is now working properly again 🙂 

As I mentioned, I have no knowledge when it comes to Java, but the initial warning would point me to a website and talked about JDK so I installed that and it didn't work. Then installed JRE as well, no luck. 

That being said, not knowing what I was doing, I can say that installing Java from the link you shared, did the trick! Awesome! Really appreciate your help!!

• Like 1

• Danny Wyatt changed the title to Java used to create custom Alchemy waveforms no longer working [SOLVED]
On 4/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Danny,

J.

Update: that solution offered by @MikeRobinson worked like a charm! I guess I didn't have Java installed or something. I have no clue how this works. I tried installing JDK and JRE, as suggested on some websites, but those were not the solution. Everything's working now!

JRE = Java Runtime Environment

This is the software that actually "runs" a Java program.  The idea is that Java programs are portable to any computer which has a JRE installed.  Unfortunately, it is now a massive piece of software as Java now includes "everything including the kitchen sink."

JDK = Java Developer's Kit

Stuff used by developers to write Java software.  You shouldn't need this.

• Like 1