Allow saving with various options

Walnut

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 1:59 AM, Walnut said:

I would like default to save to an external hard drive.  I would also like the option to be able to save the project to more than one location, for example on a local hard drive and an external hard drive. 

This is interesting.  May I ask a couple questions?

Can’t you do this with the current save function?

Why are you asking for this?  What’s the workflow?

Because I save on an external and the local hard drive and it would be nice to be able to just automatically save to two locations for backup purposes.  I know that I can save my project twice, but just in case I forgot or something it would be nice if I could set locations.

1 hour ago, Walnut said:

Because I save on an external and the local hard drive and it would be nice to be able to just automatically save to two locations for backup purposes.  I know that I can save my project twice, but just in case I forgot or something it would be nice if I could set locations.

OK... I get it now! Makes perfect sense.  I'd suggest using something like FreeFileSync.  It's basically a GUI for the command "rsync".  What software like this will do it allow you to set up sync jobs that will sync data between 2 folders.  This can be set up "1 way" or "2 way".  

"1 Way" would let you say when a change is made to a file in my "Recording Folder" (where you save your projects), copy that change to my "Backup Folder".  Doing this would mean that if you save your project, a backup copy gets made immediately.  You could set this up to run automatically, or just have a button you press to manually decide when you want it to "sync".  Auto is nice because you never have to remember to do it, but the down side is that if you mess up your project both copies get messed up.  Manual would allow you to sync when you know things are OK, the downside is you have to remember.

"2 Way" would mean if a change happened on either folder, copy that change to the other folder.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/50090/freefilesync

I can help if you like.

• Like 2

That is a good way to do it, thanks!  It also gave me the idea to sync my google drive which is another option as well.  I have heard nightmares about dropbox corrupting files etc.  I will try google drive and my hard drive and see if I run into any issues.  Thanks again!  Some of these features that we need to download software for sure would be nice if they were baked into the OS

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walnut said:

That is a good way to do it, thanks!  It also gave me the idea to sync my google drive which is another option as well.  I have heard nightmares about dropbox corrupting files etc.  I will try google drive and my hard drive and see if I run into any issues.  Thanks again!  Some of these features that we need to download software for sure would be nice if they were baked into the OS

I’ve had some issue with Google drive in the past.  It worked great for years until it didn’t.  The advice I was given was to zip projects before putting them on GD. 

let me know how the sync goes.