Odd behavior attempting to change note lengths in Piano Roll Editor

maestrovt
Go to solution Solved by steinweg,

In the Piano Roll Editor if I select a single note I can decrease its length by dragging the end of the note to the left with the mouse no problem. However, if I select multiple notes, dragging the end of the note to the left does not work (i.e., I try to drag, but the end of the note does not change). I experimented with different settings for Snap, but this does not seem to make any difference. Any suggestions appreciated.

• Solution

If you have notes of different lengths selected, you cannot go left beyond a certain point, because they all change relatively to their own size. You have the option to hold the Shift Key while dragging to give all notes the same end point, lengthwise. And if you hold down Shift + Option, all notes will get an equal length, independently from their starting positions. 

Edited by steinweg

OK, I think I reproduced the weird behavior. If I select all notes in a MIDI region, and try to change the length, even if they are all roughly the same length, I can only move the end of the note the slightest amount. However, if I select just a subset of the notes, I can change the length as expected. If, having selected the subset, I add to the selection to include all notes in the region, I can change the length as expected. Seems like a bug? (I am using Logic Pro 10.7.7, MacBook Ventura).

59 minutes ago, maestrovt said:

OK, I think I reproduced the weird behavior. If I select all notes in a MIDI region, and try to change the length, even if they are all roughly the same length, I can only move the end of the note the slightest amount. However, if I select just a subset of the notes, I can change the length as expected. If, having selected the subset, I add to the selection to include all notes in the region, I can change the length as expected. Seems like a bug? (I am using Logic Pro 10.7.7, MacBook Ventura).

I can't reproduce that here (10.7.7, Ventura). Can you increase the length as you'd expect to be able to, but not decrease it much? You might check the event list - you could have very short notes (possibly hidden by other notes) that are causing the behavior.

Exactly right scg, I did have a very short articulation change note that was imported from a MIDI export from Finale, way out of the instrument range, that was definitely the culprit. After deleting that note, everything is working normally. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1