Guitarists: What amp sim do you use?

Tonex is great. There are some great captures available. I haven't seen anyone have a bad thing to say about it, either. 
it's not a 'sim' though, which is why I didn't mention it.

I've got 6 Tonex amps in my main template, 3 Scuffham, and 3 Amplitube. Tonex is CPU friendly. Less so when used in Amplitube. If Tonex is on sale, I'd get it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glenn L. said:

Tonex is great. There are some great captures available. I haven't seen anyone have a bad thing to say about it, either. 
it's not a 'sim' though, which is why I didn't mention it.

I've got 6 Tonex amps in my main template, 3 Scuffham, and 3 Amplitube. Tonex is CPU friendly. Less so when used in Amplitube. If Tonex is on sale, I'd get it.

Tonex isn't a sim/plugin... but it does allow me to use a hardware amp sim.  

What I've been doing recently is using Logic's Amp Sim to record, the swap it out for Amplitube when I mix.  From what I understand Tonex and Amplitube use the same amp sims, right?  I could use a Tonex pedal to offload the processing when I record.  I just wouldn't be able to change virtual amps when I mix unless I recorded a dry signal.  

OK.. the wheels are turning.

Edited by ManFromNapa
  • Like 1

Tonex is a completely different product from Amplitube that can be used within Amplitube. Tonex has very limited FX, so I suppose throwing it into Amplitube makes sense on that account. Tonex is not a sim. It uses machine learning to 'capture' an amp at a particular setting. I had Tonex setup within Amplitube, but felt the fx weren't good enough, so bought a few VahallaDSP plugins to give me the delays/mods/ reverbs I wanted.

I believe there's a free version, as well as a trial period. I tried the free version, and within a few minutes coughed up for the non-maxx Tonex.

At tone.net within Tonex, there are thousands of free captures. Some are great, some not so much.

Try the demo.

hth.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Glenn L. said:

No idea, sorry. I had a PODxt 17 odd years ago, and haven't bothered with Line6 since. I don't get along with digital multifx boxes at all. Scuffham will beat just about any sim I've heard, and Mike's presets are well thought out and useful off the bat.

I had the same experience with Line6 also.

Someone I know on another board just got a POD Go. Says it's great, maybe it is. I 'window-shopped' it at Thomann.

If not for my history of boredom with multifx boxes, I might have a look. But as things stand, I rarely use my VOX AC-15C these days. Any tone I would ever need is now ITB. 
GAS has given me some hard, fast rules on what works for me and what doesn't. And multifx boxes are definitely on my 'avoid' list.

if I were gigging, I might see it differently. Then again, I wouldn't want to schlep my VOX and its 2 x 12 cab around. Too old for that ####.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Glenn L. said:

Someone I know on another board just got a POD Go. Says it's great, maybe it is. I 'window-shopped' it at Thomann.

If not for my history of boredom with multifx boxes, I might have a look. But as things stand, I rarely use my VOX AC-15C these days. Any tone I would ever need is now ITB. 
GAS has given me some hard, fast rules on what works for me and what doesn't. And multifx boxes are definitely on my 'avoid' list.

if I were gigging, I might see it differently. Then again, I wouldn't want to schlep my VOX and its 2 x 12 cab around. Too old for that ####.

I used to have a Marshall Bluesbreaker that was 80lbs!  Too damn heavy and loud for anything I do so I sold it.  Recently my local shop was closing down and they had an AC30 priced to go.  I've ALWAYS wanted a VOX so I tried it out.  It sounded great.  I was about to buy it when I tried to pick it up.  HA HA

• Haha 1

I am averse to such finessing. Which is why I avoid them. I didn't really try all these fx until I was around 29-30. Until then, I just plugged in and played, with maybe a wah and a Big Muff. So, I'd equate my basic needs with someone like Keef, who generally just plugs in and plays. The wilder fx like shimmer reverb and deep mod stuff I use very sparingly.

Basically, I just want to plug my guitars in and get on with it.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, Glenn L. said:

I got a Pod Go. At Thomann. A few weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan of the amp mods but then again that's not what I got it for and admittedly I didn't spend much time on them, so I may not be the best source. I got it for the effects and I connect it straight into my Marshall DSL40CR, so I'm using the Marshall for the distortion. 

On 5/17/2023 at 6:57 PM, deckard1 said:

These amp sims are supposed to be good as well:

https://neuraldsp.com

These are THEE ones that all the touring guitar players use nowadays. Bit on the expensive side of course. 

• Like 2

I don't seem to get along with digimultifx boxes. I find they get in my way. 
I think the Tonex pedal has some real potential, but I'm happy enough with the software. I haven't played live with an electric guitar in a long time. Take something with the amp captures of Tonex combined with decent time-based fx, and it would be a winner. For gigging.
It's not realistic these days to use my VOX at any meaningful volume. Our new upstairs neighbour is a music-hating Gen-Z'er. 

1 hour ago, ManFromNapa said:

I'm gonna try it out.  Is there a community of free "models"?

I believe so. I have Tonex, and all the great sounds I could want, so rather than chase another rabbit down a hole, I haven't tried it. But I read people gushing about it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glenn L. said:

Our new upstairs neighbour is a music-hating Gen-Z'er. 

Ugh. That's tough. I rarely crank the volume up but once in a while I do and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to complain when I do. 

So yes the Pod Go was a choice for a live gig where I need different sounds for each song, a whammy, etc.. so it just fits the bill for me. I don't like the way you have to go through menus to switch patches though, that's just plain silly since it's designed for live gigs. Just give me a + and - pedals to go to the next or previous patch and I'd be happy. 

That ToneX pedal looks incredible but it wouldn't have fit the bill for me so no regrets. But I enjoyed watching the demo video. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, ManFromNapa said:

I recently got the UA Ruby.  Sounds amazing!  Thinking trying out the TC Electronics Ampworx.

Nice! What amp does the UA Ruby emulate? 

I managed to pick up a Quad Cortex last week. Probably more than I need, but, the Quad Cortex is really an amazing piece of gear. Sounds and feels like a real amp. 

Edited by deckard1