Older version for Catalina?

deckard1
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I think that's only true if you already own an older or previous version. I would be purchasing Mainstage for the first time though. I just tried to purchase and I can't purchase it from the App Store apparently because OS 12.3 or later is required it says. I'm on 10.15.7 and cannot upgrade my OS to 12.3. Any ideas? 

Edited by deckard1

• Solution
7 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

I would be purchasing it for the first time though

Ok, that's different - you can't purchase software on the AppStore that isn't compatible with your current machine. If you can make the purchase on a different machine that is running a modern OS, then you can go back and download it on your older machine, and get the version that works on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, des99 said:

Ok, that's different - you can't purchase software on the AppStore that isn't compatible with your current machine. If you can make the purchase on a different machine that is running a modern OS, then you can go back and download it on your older machine, and get the version that works on it.

Thanks. So make the purchase on a different machine that is running 12.3 or later and make sure the purchase is on my Apple account obviously? 

• 1 month later...

So, I would have to buy a more current, or new, Mac (I have a MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, running with Catalina, no higher OS possible), and, as I don't need it, resell it?

No other workaround available?

Obviously Apple wants us to throw away our old Macs (which still work very well) and buy new ones.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, tzurby said:

Obviously Apple wants us to throw away our old Macs (which still work very well) and buy new ones.

Not obviously. There's options: sell software that isn't compatible with the device it was purchased on, and get complaints from customers that erroneously bought the software; sell older versions of software knowing that they may still have bugs or issues, and get complaints from customers who are dealing with these issues; or maintain the store the way they do now.

If you have a friend, colleague, or family member with a more current Mac (dating more or less to 2015), you can ask them to simply do you a solid and allow you to create an account on their Mac simply to buy the software.

But also, Apple guarantees they'll support Macs for a minimum of seven years. No other company is doing that. I went 11 years with my 2008 models before finally upgrading; I wouldn't try that on any other platform. Of course they want sales—capitalism is gonna do what it's gonna do—but they aren't trying to compel to upgrade in as silly a way as this.

• 8 months later...

I have a similar quandary.  I am using Resident Audio T4 interface which won't run on updated software, I believe Mojave is the latest (I guess is it's 32bit). I wish I could also run MainStage.

First question is whether there is even a version of MainStage that will work with Mojave.

I do have a slightly more modern Mac that I also don't want to upgrade because I will lose lots of old apps it's using Catalina. So just to confirm, if I buy Mainstage using the newer Mac then download using the old one I will actually get a workable product for Mojave?

9 minutes ago, SmittyJones said:

First question is whether there is even a version of MainStage that will work with Mojave.

Yes, Mainstage has been around for years, so earlier versions would work on Mojave just fine. All the info posted above about this is still relevant.

10 minutes ago, SmittyJones said:

So just to confirm, if I buy Mainstage using the newer Mac then download using the old one I will actually get a workable product for Mojave?

Yes, the info posted above that explicitly says you can do this is still accurate.