Quantise note length and editing values

jiggy1965

I wish to quantise note lengths so I went to Functions, Midi Transform and Quantise Note Length. I wished to set to to 1/16th. At the bottom right there are 4 columns in which I wish to edit the values to 0, 0, 1, 0. But when I try to select the 3rd column to enter '1', instead I get a cursor with an up and down arrow. Which serves as a scroller to increase and decrease the value. Which is very hard to get to the number you wish as a slight movement makes it go from 0 to 20 for example. I know I can edit the value directly by typing, but I can't seem to select the number in column 3. The only thing that helped is to first select that entire row with the right mouse button to give it focus. Then I can click that 3rd column and change the value to 1 by typing it.

Is it really supposed to be that hard to just type in a value or should I do it some other way? Clicking or double-clicking doesn't work anyway. And as soon as I move the cursor to a number that cursor changes into that up and down arrow to scroll through the numbers. There isn't an option to disable that cursor changing as far as I can see? 

How do you edit that number? Same way as I am doing now? Or some easier way that I can't find in the documentation?

screen.png

7 minutes ago, ozinga said:

Select the notes and use shift+option and drag one of the notes from the right side

That makes all the notes the same length (which is a different operation).

22 minutes ago, jiggy1965 said:

Which is very hard to get to the number you wish as a slight movement makes it go from 0 to 20 for example.

I more or less see the behavior you describe, except for this - scrolling is very smooth for me, and it's easy to get the desired value. Could it be your input device?

In any case, it does seem fiddly, and I'm not sure why it's implemented the way it seems to be implemented. I can usually highlight a single field similar to how you described, by left-clicking (right-clicking works, but doesn't seem to be necessary), waiting briefly, then clicking the desired field.

This may not be what you want to hear, but the way I do it is just to highlight the entire field, then type in all the desired values, using space as the separator (you can also use other characters, such as '.'). So, for a 16th, I'd type 0-space-0-space-1-space-0-enter (you can even leave off any 0's, and they'll be auto-filled with 0). This can be quite fast, especially if you have a numeric keypad. It might not be ideal if you want to change one value while preserving others, but it's fast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scg said:

Could it be your input device?

That could indeed be it. I'm using a Wacom. I tried it with the standard Magic Mouse and then double clicking works better to select the desired column. Although still not quite ideally. Best option is then to first right click that segment to give it focus and select the entire row. Then clicking the desired column (which after given focus to that field will now work) in order to change its value. 

Yes, it's probably my input device then (I use a Wacom tablet). Both scrolling and using double clicking with it then don't work optimally. Scrolling goes too fast and double clicking doesn't give that field focus for me to type something in it. I never use a regular mouse so I'll have to do with first right clicking that field to give it focus and then clicking the desired column to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scg said:

It looks like it's just single-click (faster yet!).

Works only with a standard mouse. Not with my wacom. The moment I hover over a digit the cursor changes into that up/down cursor and single or double clicking on digits don’t work. Only option is to first right click with my Wacom pen and then single click on a digit.

47 minutes ago, jiggy1965 said:

Works only with a standard mouse. Not with my wacom. The moment I hover over a digit the cursor changes into that up/down cursor and single or double clicking on digits don’t work. Only option is to first right click with my Wacom pen and then single click on a digit.

Yeah, I'm just dealing with a mouse here - it does sound like the different input devices are the main issue.