is it just me? or is everyone getting a flood of ads?

It varies, but normally you shouldn't see an ad in between every single post. In any case I haven't made any changes to ad density in the past few months (and that last few times I made changes, I changed them to have less ads, not more).

If I take this topic: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/142534-new-forum-support-sign-in-posting-replying-searching/

... then I see about 1 ad every 1 to 3 posts. But I tried to load that same thread a minute ago and I was seeing less ads. So it's hard to predict. 

In any case my apologies but ads are a necessary evil to keep the lights on here. Maybe in the future I'll offer a paid subscription to browse ad free... not sure how popular that would be. 

Hay David, no worries...just real different. Until today there were few ads and they were for industry specific/etc, these are between each post, the footer, and the right sidebar and just random stuff, health/insurance/blahblahblah...Cheers!.../s~

10 hours ago, steveLpx1 said:

Hay David, no worries...just real different. Until today there were few ads and they were for industry specific/etc, these are between each post, the footer, and the right sidebar and just random stuff, health/insurance/blahblahblah...Cheers!.../s~

Yeah that's odd that it would change suddenly like that for you but then again ads are so dependent on your market (your location), and your browsing habits, AND whatever the ad agencies decide to publish that day/hour/minute. Hopefully it's only a temporary situation for you and everything will look normal again soon. 

• 1 month later...

Can we explore an ad-free paid tier here at LPH? I understand that the site needs to be funded.

The ads are heavy and especially intrusive on the mobile experience where nearly 25% of the screen is dominated by unrelated ads selling all manner of strangeness.

I am willing to pay to recapture the magic of this site.

Years ago it was insulated from the noise of the internet. It offered a sort of focused solace— now the experience is on par with a late 90’s mass media news site.

I think a lot of people appreciate this forum enough to contribute to running costs.

I don't know the figures we're talking about, and thus can't evaluate the practicality of this, but maybe some kind of "Support us - we're 40% towards the yearly running costs" message, to encourage support, and to replace the revenue that ads bring in to cover costs, might be an idea. Then the site is community supported, and ad-free.

And if the community is not willing to support the site enough to at least cover those costs, then you can always revert to the ads model.

Of course, we have a lot of new users who just come to us with a problem, get it solved, and then leave, who probably aren't going to stay around long enough to want to contribute to running costs. Therefore it could perhaps seem a little much to ask the people who do hang around, who are already contributing their time helping others with their problems, to also contribute to site costs.

I'm sure David has thought about these issues in the past, and figured ads were the more simple, reliable way to generate revenue.

Some other combinations could be possible too - ie, an ad-free site support model, so that people that support the site for whatever, $10 or $20/year, also get a the benefit of an ad-free experience, and ones who don't support the site get ads.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm willing to explore that. Are you willing to pay $5/month for an ad free browsing experience on Logic Pro Help? If yes, contact me and I'll set it up. 

I have a technical background in digital marketing so in actuality I am very close to this space.  Consider me your first paid subscriber when this goes live David.

I have benefitted from LPH moderator involvement and your own direct replies (thanks for the SC embed guidance)-- for free for many years.  

And quite frankly, that is a shame. I am happy to pay for an improved experience and to help the site grow.  

Sustainability in online business models relies on participants that invest both time and yes, money, to support the services offered.

Allowing users to opt out of advertising is a great way of driving up the quality of engagement.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fighting this kind of junk content is pretty much an eternal war. I myself use volunteer internet security companies for this. And places where security apps fail need not be visited. Many of them are infected with legitimate malware,  that steals computer configuration + user data and web browser history.  They ban the visitor if the visitor does not let the data be stolen.