Ideas to remove guitar bleed from drum overheads

don21480
Go to solution Solved by Zipfunk,

I've got a recorded song that I'm changing the guitar parts for a different vibe but the recorded drum overheads have the original guitar parts bleeding thru. I've tried a noise gate but did not have much luck, tried surgical EQ and again no luck. Might just be stuck with it but thought I'd check for any ideas. The bleed runs thru the whole track not just at quiet moments. Using the latest version of Logic Pro x Thanks - 

• Solution
25 minutes ago, don21480 said:

I've got a recorded song that I'm changing the guitar parts for a different vibe but the recorded drum overheads have the original guitar parts bleeding thru. I've tried a noise gate but did not have much luck, tried surgical EQ and again no luck. Might just be stuck with it but thought I'd check for any ideas. The bleed runs thru the whole track not just at quiet moments. Using the latest version of Logic Pro x Thanks - 

Did you try the low pass filter?

to find it you have to hold OPTION and click Legacy. 

I have a program called RipX that does a decent job separating tracks at time if the frequencies are good. That may help. 

• Like 1

If you have Izotope Master Rebalance you can use this to isolate the drums.    I have never tried it on drum Overheads audio so don't know if it would work to remove guitar bleed from it, the app may need to see a full mix to determine attributes and create stems.     But if using it doesn't work to remove guitar bleed from the OH track, you can use Master Rebalance to extract the entire drum kit from your master mix.   This will definitely work.     Then simulate the Overheads by HPF your now clean drum kit audio file until you get it to blend in with your original drums.  i.e. start around 300hz.

Regards

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zipfunk said:

If it’s something that can be shared (ie not an upcoming release etc) you could upload the guitar track to google drive and I could try RipX on it so you don’t have to buy it. 

Thank you - I checked it out online and they had a free trial so I signed up and WOW - it worked perfectly - thanks so much for the tip and the offer 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, don21480 said:

Thank you - I checked it out online and they had a free trial so I signed up and WOW - it worked perfectly - thanks so much for the tip and the offer 

Glad it worked. It’s a nice cheap app that fixes a mess. Some clients want dialogue but the audio has someone banging on a guitar. This app can separate the two. It’s not perfect but pretty close. 
(I am in no way affiliated with them)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, markno999 said:

If you have Izotope Master Rebalance you can use this to isolate the drums.   

Its a really impressive plugin. Ive salvaged old, terrible recordings with 2 or 3 instances on a track, one to boost drums, one to boost or cut bass etc... if youre careful with it and do some surgical EQ before it when necessary you can get really decent results.