Logic 10.7.7 Opens Very Slowly on Macbook Pro M2 Max Ventura 13.3

themadpad

I have just purchased a new macbook M2 with the specs mentioned in the subject header.

Opening Logic Pro 10.7.7  takes sometimes up to 50 seconds (and this doesn't include opening an actual project, it takes this long just to open the program.)

I do have a lot of plug ins....over 1,000 (including all the Waves plug ins)...but even when I de-activated all of them in the plug in manager it still took about 30 seconds to open.  There surely must be something wrong as I have pretty much one of the most powerful Macs you can have (12 core, 64 Gb RAM).   I have tested this with rosetta mode on and off and it still brings similar results.  The Logic on my Macbook Pro Mid 2012 is opening quicker.

Also when I go to change the buffer size (even without a session loaded up) it takes about 30 - 40 seconds to do it ....the spinning beach ball of death appears in the process.

Please does anyone have any advice as to why all this is happening.

Thanks,

Paddy

Deactivating them in the plugin manager won't affect anything, that just removes the plugins from Logic's plugin menus.

I presume you've gone through the process of validating them, and you're just talking about opening Logic, with no projects (or a template that has zero plugins). In this case, the amount of plugins you have shouldn't affect loading time, as Logic isn't loading any plugins. A slightly longer time to initially scan them perhaps, but not by much.

Logic running on an M1 Pro MBP here takes about 12 seconds to run and load a blank template here, although I have probably less than half the plugins you do...

Try temporarily moving the plugin components to a temp folder, and trying again - how long does Logic take to load now? If it's significantly faster, you know it is third-party plugin related. If it doesn't change anything, then the problem is elsewhere.

Edited by des99

Thanks for your response!

When I removed all the plug ins from the components folder it took only about 4 seconds to open Logic.  Then as I gradually added more and more it would increase in time...the biggest jump in time was adding all 600+ plug ins from Waves, that added about 14 seconds.  I have since removed a few problematic plug ins and it now opens in roughly 26 seconds (and changing the buffer size now happens instantly).  So from doing this, the conclusion is that the amount of plug ins you have does affect Logic loading time, as it has more stuff to scan.

I did previously try this method, but the mistake I made was not restarting my laptop after moving the component files from the components folder....if you don't restart it still thinks those files are still in there.

• Like 1

Yes, you need to have Logic closed when you do those tasks, and you might need to restart the AUComponentRegistrar process for it to recognise changes (or reboot, which achieves the same thing).

I'm surprised that your load times went from 4 seconds to 50 seconds though.

When you run Logic, in the splash screen you'll see the text "Searching for Audio Unit plugins..." and then "Updating information about Audio Unit plugins..."

With all your plugins installed, roughly how long are those two actions taking, in the 50 second load process?

Edited by des99

I can't tell you how long it takes in the 50 second load process as I have gotten rid of those plug ins...but in the 26 second load time for about 24 of the 26 seconds it says 'searching for Audio Unit plugins'.

Overall I do have about 1200 plug ins, so ultimately perhaps that is why it takes quite a while to open up Logic (even when not opening up an actual session file, just the application itself).

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 3:33 AM, themadpad said:

I can't tell you how long it takes in the 50 second load process as I have gotten rid of those plug ins...but in the 26 second load time for about 24 of the 26 seconds it says 'searching for Audio Unit plugins'.

Overall I do have about 1200 plug ins, so ultimately perhaps that is why it takes quite a while to open up Logic (even when not opening up an actual session file, just the application itself).

What ended up happening please ? Did you get the time reduced more or change versions of logic etc ? Just curious ? I realize this is an older thread .