Regions Wave forms (and sound) suddenly changing - Help!

sfvo
Go to solution Solved by sfvo,

Take a look at the attached file and you will find two different regions with different colors.

The first region was recorded last night and the second region this morning.

I changed ABSOLUTELY nothing between the two days, yet the waveforms appear different thicknesses and (to my ears) sound a bit different.

ANY idea what might cause this?

I can send actual Logic file too if anyone wants (and knows how :))

WindowImage.jpg

Because the human that this voice supposedly belongs to has changed. Even something as small and insignificant as a cup of coffee can change the voice, its articulation and the pilot driving it, sometimes drastically. Also, you know, anything can happen between last night and this morning. Literally, anything...

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

Ha funny!  I don't think I was clear enough... naturally, I am not talking about the waveforms change in dynamics rather the spaces in between (AND the actual sound).  If you look at the silences, see how on waveform's silences are thicker than the rest? (Actually the waveforms too).  

As a point of reference, I have been using Logic to record audio for many, many years 🙂

I don't think that converting mono files to a stereo mp3 helps us here. After converting back to mono and adding about 10 db, I get this:

Bildschirmfoto2023-05-24um22_06_54.thumb.png.b64921bb2f54126b423cb257fa939af1.png

So the waveforms of the early and later parts now look the same, including pauses. The voice itself sounds different, of course, but that change is about as much as you'd get from a 10 minute walk.

Edited by fuzzfilth

3 hours ago, sfvo said:

the waveforms appear different thicknesses and (to my ears) sound a bit different.

Note that waveform zoom is turned on, and it may affect the display of the waveforms. I would start by turning it off and zooming closer on the waveform to see if they're really different. On the screenshot you provided, they don't look different to me. 

The voice does sound different but it could be simply the distance and angle from the speaker to the mic. 

Once, I recorded a saxophone player, and I marked the position of his feet with tape on the floor so that he would always stand in exactly the same place in front of the mic stand I had set up. He took a break, came back and sounded different. Not as strong, not as punchy, slightly weaker. I kept asking him if he had the same position, and he told me that yes, his feet were right against my tape markings. 

Finally I left the control room, walked in the studio, and realized that he had taken his shoes off. So he was somewhere between an inch or half an inch further from the mic, and that was enough to considerably change the timbre and power of his sound. 

1 hour ago, sfvo said:

If you look at the silences, see how on waveform's silences are thicker than the rest?

I see that now on your original screenshot, not on the one posted by fuzzfilth though. Was that region gain? 

I think it might be hardware related.  I am going to try a different interface and report back.

And to be clearer--even if I don't record anything but room noise, I get the stranger/very different looking wave forms then I did yesterday.

• Solution

Ok--I figured it out.  It is absolutely the new version of Logic (released yesterday).

This is how I know with certainty:

On my non-production laptop, I recorded using my built-in mic and saved the file.  Then I updated Logic and recorded the same way again.

It appears that Logic is using some different methodology for creating waveform pictures (and perhaps the wave forms themselves).  Happy to send the files for non-believers 🙂