Change template mid-way through project?

mellodee
Go to solution Solved by Alan Shields,

How can I change the template of a project, mid-way through it? One complicated way would be to copy all events, close the project and start a new project with the desired template and pasting the events of the previous project. But surely, there must be a simpler way...

• Solution

Close the old project, open the new template.

Go to File > Import > Logic Projects... then select the old project.

Tick the boxes for anything you want to import, anything not ticked won't be imported. Done.

You can import tracks, content, cells, plugins, sends, I/O, automation, there's even an option to keep the Bus Numbers, all selectable with tick boxes. You can also import project settings. There's even an option to add these elements to your new template or replace existing items.

HTH,

Alan.

Edited by Alan Shields

Your solution of starting from the desired template and importing the project works, Alan, thanks! But my solution of copying all events of a project and pasting them into a new project with the desired template is faster, as I don't need to tick a dozen or so boxes (as in your solution). If only there was a box to tick all boxes...

But it's too bad that Logic Pro does not allow to simply change the template of a given project, which would be the simplest solution by far.

Fwiw, having multiple projects open is a known cause to project corruption, so you should avoid that. You don't need to tick all boxes, simply do cmd+a, then click right arrow to check all boxes. Doing it this way you will also import automation, tempo events, markers etc... It's also possible to import project specific settings there if needed...

• Like 1