Redundant new key commands or am I missing something?

anp27
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

These key commands have existed prior to 10.7.8:

Set Region/Event/Marquee Start to Playhead Position

Set Region/Event/Marquee End to Playhead Position

Then the release of 10.7.8 just a few days ago brought us these new key commands:

Trim Region start to Playhead Position

Trim Region end to Playhead Position 

These four key commands appear to do kind of the same thing. Why would I use one set of them over the other, or why would I use all of them together? I think I might be missing something...

1 hour ago, oscwilde said:

Set = move.
Trim = reduce length.

I just tried it on an Apple Loop, they both do the same thing, snap start/end to the playhead. The only difference I'm seeing is between audio and MIDI regions. With MIDI regions using Set Start/End extends the length of the region, with audio regions Set Start/End can't extend the region if the loop length isn't long in the first place. I guess that would be the distinction, use Set to extend the length of MIDI regions... then again I might as well just always use Set then because it has the ability to do both Set and Trim, and Trim just "trims". 

• Like 1

• Solution

The "Set" key commands can extend a MIDI region's boundaries to make it longer, whereas the "Trim" key commands can only make a MIDI region shorter. 

The "Set" key commands don't affect MIDI notes positioned at the region's border, whereas the "Trim" key commands shorten the notes positioned at the trim point (region start) or trigger the Notes Crossing Split Point dialog (region end). 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, valve said:

I have a lot of trouble with the "Set Start" key command. It often shortens my MIDI regions to an arbitrary point not fully to the playhead. Does anyone know what causes this?

Not seeing this here. Can you provide a screenshot video?