Can someone help me with hearing plugins on Playback, please?

markmathewsmusic
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hey there,

For some reason Logic has decided, out of the blue, to stop letting me hear guitar plugins. Initially, I couldn't hear any plugin when i recorded, but the plugin sound would be there when I stopped recording and played it back. I searched for a solution and found that turning on Software monitoring and making sure I have the Input monitoring button on in the track header, it recolved this issue when recording - I actully never had to do this before, but it works so that's fine. 

However, I still can't hear it when I am just playing a track and writing. So, for example, if I drop a drum beat in the timeline that I want to write to, instead of recoridng I just want to play the drum loop and mess around over it until I get something. But even with the input monitoring button on, it still cuts out whenever I hit play. Can anyone let me know what settings I need to change to resolve this, please?

Huge thanks in advance!

Input monitoring is for when you want to hear the input coming in from your audio interface, and should only be on when recording/rehearsing with an instrument. It should not be on to play back audio tracks, where you want the source of audio for that channel to be from the audio file, not whatever is connected to your audio interface's input.

8 minutes ago, des99 said:

Input monitoring is for when you want to hear the input coming in from your audio interface, and should only be on when recording/rehearsing with an instrument. It should not be on to play back audio tracks, where you want the source of audio for that channel to be from the audio file, not whatever is connected to your audio interface's input.

Thanks so much for getting back to me, but I'm still a little confused (apologies if I'm not totally understanding!). The problem is that when I am rehearsing a track I still can't hear the plugin. If I hit record and play to the track I can hear the plugin with Input Monitoring on. However, if I'm not recording and just reheasing I can no longer hear it. 

But you're talking about a drum track you want to play, and you're saying it cuts out when you input monitor your guitar? Are you trying to play and record different things onto the same track?

Basically, any tracks that are playing back should not be set to input monitor.

And inputs your want to play/hear (ie, the track with your guitar as input) should be set to input monitor mode, which passes the input through the mixer).

It's not really clear to me what you're doing, or how you have things setup. Can you do a screenshot showing your arrange and mixer while doing this?