Problem using "Hide/show unselected tracks" and Track Stacks

ChoPraTs

Hello.

There is a feature that I use a lot in Logic to clean up large templates with many tracks and that is the option "hide/show unselected tracks". So, I can focus on working only on a few tracks that I previously selected. I have a keyboard shortcut set up that works perfectly and it's wonderful to be able to work like this.

The problem is when those tracks are inside a folders or a track stack, then the function no longer makes sense in my opinion. When I select one or more tracks that are into folders or track stacks and try to use the function to hide the unselected tracks, Logic by default also hides the folders or track stack in which those tracks are inserted, so it also hides the selected tracks that I want to view. I think this shortcut shouldn't work like this, if a track is inside a track stack or a folder and I want to see only that track, Logic should be able to show it. Is there a way to configure Logic to work this way?

I'm using the latest version 10.7.8, I don't know if the same thing happened in previous versions, I didn't noticed this problem before. Any help?

Thank you!

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, ChoPraTs said:

I don't know if the same thing happened in previous versions

It did, just checked in 10.7.7 10.5.0. I also don't know if this isn't even expected behaviour - hiding the main track of a stack should always hide all tracks of the stack IMO. To work around this, you can just select the main track as well, no?

Edited by polanoid

23 minutes ago, polanoid said:

It did, just checked in 10.7.7 10.5.0. I also don't know if this isn't even expected behaviour - hiding the main track of a stack should always hide all tracks of the stack IMO. To work around this, you can just select the main track as well, no?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, if I select the tracks and I am careful to also select the folder in which they are inserted, yes. But that's not very useful in folders where there are a lot of tracks and it really slows down your workflow a lot, having to scroll up to also select the track stack when maybe you only want to see one or two tracks at the bottom of that folder.

Anyway, that a function called “Hide unselected tracks” also hides the selected tracks in some cases… it doesn't make much sense IMO.

I think there should be a way for Logic to interpret that the selected track that you want to see when hiding the others, is inside a Track Stack and therefore it also should show that Track Stack. Or, at the very least, don't hide the selected track.

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

If you feel it's a bug (as already stated, I don't), you should report it to Apple via their feedback page. https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/

There definitely is no Logic setting (yet) that makes it work like you propose.

Thank you!

Yes, I already send a message this morning and let's see if the developers find interesting to change something.

There's another function, "Hide/show empty tracks", that works similar. When used it hides all tracks except those that have regions. But, curiously, if you have selected one of those empty tracks, this is not hidden. Why? I don't know, because the track is empty, and all the track stacks and folders are hidden, but maybe because you have selected this track, it's not hidden when using the shortcut. This function works pretty much how I would like the other to work.

11 minutes ago, ChoPraTs said:

but maybe because you have selected this track, it's not hidden when using the shortcut.

You're probably talking about the focused track, not about selected tracks (there can be more than one selected tracks, but only one focused track)? The focused track can't be hidden because it has many special purposes (like e.g. being the track that is automatically recorded to if no track is manually record enabled). You can distinguish the focused track from selected tracks by the highlighted track number.

• Like 1

Right! When using "Hide/show empty tracks" it doesn't hide the focused track, you're right!

But using "Hide/show unselected tracks" it does (if they are in a Track Stack or folder). "Hide/show empty tracks" doesn't hide the focused track, although it's inside folders. In fact, the track stack or folders become hidden but not the focused track.

"Hide/show unselected tracks" hides all tracks of the project if they are in folders, even the focused track, and I still thinking it should not do that with the selected ones but... well, for now it's how it works.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:32 PM, ChoPraTs said:

"Hide/show unselected tracks" hides all tracks of the project if they are in folders, even the focused track, and I still thinking it should not do that with the selected ones but... well, for now it's how it works.

I agree, that specific behavior is very buggy. Selected Track Stack subtracks should not disappear with the rest:

HideShowSubtracks.thumb.gif.6c65a5714c0307e5566bd9f74c13f770.gif

J.

• 4 months later...

when i click on hide unselected tracks it hides all tracks, also the selected one. It is super annoying. I hope there is a fix.

Otherwise ctr+opt+comd H helps already a lot . But sometimes you want to focus on just one and hide the rest still, even with regions inside

On 5/30/2023 at 2:11 PM, ChoPraTs said:

Hello.

There is a feature that I use a lot in Logic to clean up large templates with many tracks and that is the option "hide/show unselected tracks". So, I can focus on working only on a few tracks that I previously selected. I have a keyboard shortcut set up that works perfectly and it's wonderful to be able to work like this.

The problem is when those tracks are inside a folders or a track stack, then the function no longer makes sense in my opinion. When I select one or more tracks that are into folders or track stacks and try to use the function to hide the unselected tracks, Logic by default also hides the folders or track stack in which those tracks are inserted, so it also hides the selected tracks that I want to view. I think this shortcut shouldn't work like this, if a track is inside a track stack or a folder and I want to see only that track, Logic should be able to show it. Is there a way to configure Logic to work this way?

I'm using the latest version 10.7.8, I don't know if the same thing happened in previous versions, I didn't noticed this problem before. Any help?

Thank you!

thx for writing, i just dont have patience to stop my work and come here for every problem i see ; )