Is there a way to set Logic's copy/paste and automation to work like Ableton?

JOB
Go to solution Solved by scg,

I've been increasingly working on Ableton and have finished a few projects with it. The fact that there are no plugin compensation issues is a big relief and the main reason I switched.   I used to think I wasn't a great engineer and didn't have what it took to dial in these sweet spots I'd hear in other records, but it turns out it was all Logic.  Big relief (mixed with a bit of anger towards Logic for all the psychological distress and missed opportunity over the years).  

I really like how the automation snaps to the grid so easily and copies/moves perfectly, and the fact that there's no overlap of clips in the arrangement so there's never a need to use scissors to cut things first to make room for whatever you want to paste or put there.  

Is there a way to set Logic to work like this?  I'm still doing a fair amount in Logic with older sessions and collabs, and will continue to do so for a while.  But it feels very clunky to me after getting familiar with Ableton. 

• Solution

Without getting into 'DAW comparison', I've also struggled with Logic's compensation issues and share your frustration. Like you I'm using both Ableton and Logic - I think they're both great (each with its own strengths and weaknesses), and I use them for different things as needed.

Regarding your specific questions, check out the 'Drag' menu:

screenshot.thumb.png.69e968c97706b4235cadc0a6a70288cb.png

If you don't have it set to 'No Overlap', try that setting and see if it helps.

As for automation, I've always found automation editing to be somewhat fiddly in Logic, but just in case you're not already aware, automation has its own separate snap settings in the 'Snap' menu. So, you might check that to make sure automation snapping is on and set to an appropriate value.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2023 at 10:15 PM, scg said:

automation has its own separate snap settings in the 'Snap' menu. So, you might check that to make sure automation snapping is on and set to an appropriate value.

OMG THANK YOU. Always hated how logic automation does not snap, now this fixes it. 

• Like 2