New track, same instrument, different automation?

Sonica.be

If you make a new track with the same instrument, can you have different automation on each track?

I have a chord playing but would like to make each individual note pan differently; the only way I know to make this work is to duplicate my instrument 4 times, but my poor old mac is already struggling since I'm working in 24b 96Khz 😅 for sampling purpose.

Any Ideas?

Screenshot2023-06-08at11_00_13.png.7403cb9495286bdafc2fe3a74fea3339.png

• 4 months later...

The problem here is that all your tracks are assigned to the same channel strip, so that means they control the same instrument plug-in (the one instantiated on Inst 3). 

An easy workaround is to duplicate the track: on the track header, Option-drag the track icon downward. That will create a new track with the same region(s), assigned to a new, independent duplicate channel strip hosting a new instance of the same instrument plug-in. 

To clean up, you'll then delete the original track. 

Now you can have independent automation on the duplicate track. 

On 10/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, David Nahmani said:

To clean up, you'll then delete the original track. Now you can have independent automation on the duplicate track.

I'm not sure I'm following here, I need the original track to play as well.

I want 1 instrument to play four notes with different panning individually.

What I'm doing in the picture illustrates individual panning not working.

What I'm doing right now is like u said duplicating the track so I can have different automation on them but that increases the cpu-load.

(I hope what I'm saying makes sense 😅)

I guess the only way to make this work is to bounce/freeze each track on a less powerfull machine.

49 minutes ago, Sonica.be said:

I guess the only way to make this work is to bounce/freeze each track on a less powerfull machine.

Yes. Conceptually, you have five persons sitting in the same car, all trying to steer in different directions, which obviously will raise an eyebrow of the cop on the side of the street. To get everyone where they want, you need five cars which need more gas, or one Uber with also more gas and quite a bit more time on top.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonica.be said:

What I'm doing right now is like u said duplicating the track so I can have different automation on them but that increases the cpu-load.

It depends on the instrument, but in general, it shouldn't increase the CPU load significantly. Logic is optimized for playing multiple instruments, meaning that having four instruments playing 1 note each shouldn't use significantly more CPU than 1 instrument playing 4 notes. 

At least I would give it a try and see for yourself before starting to bounce and freeze which locks you in a specific performance and sound. 

2 hours ago, Sonica.be said:

I'm not sure I'm following here, I need the original track to play as well.

What I meant is that if you've already duplicated your tracks but assigned them to the same channel strip, now you need to duplicate each track to assign it to a new channel strip, then delete the original. 

So for example, following your screenshot where the first 4 tracks (tracks 4 through 7) are assigned to the same channel strip (inst 3), you would: 

• Keep track 4 the way it is,
  • Duplicate track 5 and delete the original track 5,
  • Duplicate track 6 and delete the original track 6,
  • Duplicate track 7 and delete the original track 7.

Now you would have: 

1. track 4 = Inst 3,
  2. track 5 = Inst 5, (because Inst 4 is already used by track 8 )
  3. track 6 = Inst 7,
  4. track 7 = Inst 8.

And now you can pan each track independently. 

I hope that made sense?