Thunderbolt/USB Hub

A "gotcha" that you have to look out for is some software licensing systems.  They sometimes don't work as they should if you have software licenses stored on a drive that is connected to the hub.  There are a few systems that have a problem with this, Waves is the only one I remember.

Some hubs tend to impose their own Machine ID/IP Address which confuses the licensing system.  Best to authorise straight to your internal drive in this case, or any drive that is plugged directly into the computer.

Half the answer to your question depends on your needs. As you've said, the hub you've linked has the requisite ports for your setup, so you're already 50% of the way there. I originally bought a 13-in-1 dock from Anker, but had issues with it (which ultimately came to bear during a remote live orchestra recording session, no less!) that led me to buy a CalDigit 13-in-1 dock to replace it. In the end, I kept both docks and have them both connected to my own system to spread the work across both Thunderbolt buses.

Anecdote aside, I can't speak to that exact hub, but I would recommend CalDigit products.

54 minutes ago, lookatthisguy said:

Half the answer to your question depends on your needs. As you've said, the hub you've linked has the requisite ports for your setup, so you're already 50% of the way there. I originally bought a 13-in-1 dock from Anker, but had issues with it (which ultimately came to bear during a remote live orchestra recording session, no less!) that led me to buy a CalDigit 13-in-1 dock to replace it. In the end, I kept both docks and have them both connected to my own system to spread the work across both Thunderbolt buses.

Anecdote aside, I can't speak to that exact hub, but I would recommend CalDigit products.

Thank you, lookatthisguy. You've given me food for thought. Any thoughts on the PD issue - should a 60W pass-through be a problem? 

In case anyone wants to know, I spoke to Apple tech and they confirmed that attaching a hub with a pass-through of 60w to a MBP that normally accepts a 96w PSU is perfectly ok. They also confirmed that attaching the MBP 96w PSU at the same time is ok too. 

24 minutes ago, nev17 said:

In case anyone wants to know, I spoke to Apple tech and they confirmed that attaching a hub with a pass-through of 60w to a MBP that normally accepts a 96w PSU is perfectly ok. They also confirmed that attaching the MBP 96w PSU at the same time is ok too.

Think of it as water. If your Mac normally uses a 96w charger to recharge, using a 60w PD is like pouring less water through a hose, or using less water pressure. It’ll get the job done, but it’ll take longer, and if you’re working the computer hard enough, it may just hold the charge in place. (Lower than 60w may mean the battery still depletes while it’s working hard, just takes longer than being completely off the power supply.) If you connect the 96w as well, the computer will know to draw power from that, and will ignore the other supply. Same as my setup—both of my docks offer 96w PD, but the computer isn’t breaking itself drawing 194w. It’s only drawing from one of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lookatthisguy said:

Think of it as water. If your Mac normally uses a 96w charger to recharge, using a 60w PD is like pouring less water through a hose, or using less water pressure. It’ll get the job done, but it’ll take longer, and if you’re working the computer hard enough, it may just hold the charge in place. (Lower than 60w may mean the battery still depletes while it’s working hard, just takes longer than being completely off the power supply.) If you connect the 96w as well, the computer will know to draw power from that, and will ignore the other supply. Same as my setup—both of my docks offer 96w PD, but the computer isn’t breaking itself drawing 194w. It’s only drawing from one of them.

Thanks, lookatthisguy. I get the analogy but with having so little knowledge of this stuff, I assume I’m unaware of certain crucial information. I needed clarification by people in the know. 

On 6/16/2023 at 10:55 PM, nev17 said:

Thanks for your reply, Simon. Am I to understand your second paragraph describes the workaround, if I do encounter an issue?

Yep.  Well a workaround or you can prevent it completely by just authorising to your internal drive.  You will still be able to store sample libraries and projection an external drive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simon.a.billington said:

Yep.  Well a workaround or you can prevent it completely by just authorising to your internal drive.  You will still be able to store sample libraries and projection an external drive.

Thanks, Simon.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, nev17 said:

Thanks, lookatthisguy. I get the analogy but with having so little knowledge of this stuff, I assume I’m unaware of certain crucial information. I needed clarification by people in the know. 

Note that power supplies tend to get quite warm if they’re pushing at maximum capacity for a long time (as a 60W supply may be prone to be if charging a machine that expects 96W). Keep the power supply in a well-ventilated space and not on carpet or so. 

I would probably not opt for lower-specced power delivery than my MacBook expects for this reason. 

Now, what about that relationship of yours? 😉

• Like 1