MIDI learn Vintage B3

Jgirv

Hi all,

I see where you can choose a hardware controller in the Global section of the plugin, but is it possible to simply assign nine faders on my generic keyboard controller to control the drawbars through MIDI Learn?   I guess the only other way would be to copy down the settings for the hardware modes that they do offer, and change my controller assignments on my hardware, but that’s rather tedious.      Thanks very much for any ideas.  

Hi Jgirv,

5 hours ago, Jgirv said:

but is it possible to simply assign nine faders on my generic keyboard controller to control the drawbars through MIDI Learn?

Yes it is possible. Did you try it already?

5 hours ago, Jgirv said:

I guess the only other way would be to copy down the settings for the hardware modes that they do offer, and change my controller assignments on my hardware

You can also remap the CCs your controller's faders send to match the CCs the Vintage B3's draw bars respond to in a given hardware controller mode. You could do this in the MIDI Environment or better yet with the Scripter MIDI FX.

But using Controller Assignments' MIDI Learn is much easier and quicker.

J.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply!  

There doesn’t seem to be a way to map my faders to the drawbars through MIDI Learn. MIDI Learn is an option for other Logic synths / plugins, but the VB3 seems to only allow for choosing a premade template for a few existing organ controllers.   If there is a way, I can’t see where in the interface it would be.   

Logic has the Controller Assignments feature for just this. Press Command-L to enter learn mode, touch the plugin parameter with the mouse that you want to control, then move the MIDI control you want to use to control it. Then hit Command-L to leave learn mode.

You can edit or fine-tune your assignments in the Controller Assignments window.

More info:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/ctls71c31487/mac

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, garryknight said:

That's a great reply for Logic Pro for Mac. Is it the same in the iPad version? If so, how can you achieve this if you don't have a keyboard plugged in?

Looks like we totally missed (again) that this was asked in Logic for IPad forum. We really need to color this forum hot pink!

J

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've edited my "Show unread" stream (which is my default day-to-day place I check for new topics) to exclude Logic for iPad, so I will no longer see them and erroneously respond. I don't use the iPad version anyway, so I'm unlikely to contribute much of any use, but at least it will remove any confusion generated by my responses...

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

We really need to color this forum hot pink!

This might be a useful user modification we can do locally with Tampermonkey. I'll explore making the iPad forum hot pink (obviously) on my end...

Edit: And ChatGPT duly made me a script for this... 🙂

Now I always know when I'm in the Logic for iPad forum! 👍

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, des99 said:

Aargh! It's going to take a while to break 30 years of "Logic" meaning "Logic on the computer" habits.

Sorry!

Ah, ok. I wondered about that since other users of the iPad version have been looking for ways to do this. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, David Nahmani said:

This should be possible via Scripter however the script would have to be entered in Scripter on the Mac first then moved to the iPad. 

Here's such a script. Quick and dirty, no GUI:

const ccMap = {
  // incoming CC: outgoing CC
  26: 16,
  27: 17,
  28: 18,
  29: 19,
  30: 20,
  31: 21,
  32: 22,
  33: 23,
  34: 24,
  // ...
};

function HandleMIDI(e) {
  if (e instanceof ControlChange) {
    // Remap incoming CC number if within the ccMap object, otherwise use the original CC number
    e.number = ccMap[e.number] || e.number;
  }
  // Send remapped CC and let non-matching events pass through
  e.send();
}

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
Refactored script
  • Like 3