playback preroll not working

SoSpiro

since i upgraded to 10.7.8, some of my settings have automatically changed.

i am used to having the playback start 2 beats before where my locator is.  Currently, the playback starts EXACTLY where my locator is which i don't like.  
I have the preroll box checked and i've checked/unchecked it many times, and have restarted my computer and it still doesn't work how i'd like it to.

NOTE: This is for PLAYBACK preroll, not RECORDING preroll (which somehow works fine).

Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 5.13.29 PM.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but playback pre-roll doesn't work like recording pre-roll does.

From a quick google search:

Playback pre-roll checkbox: When selected, all Play commands start playback a little earlier. The exact pre-roll value depends on the current plug-in delay compensation value. This option ensures that transients that fall exactly on the start position are played back correctly.

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/general-settings-lgcp0ed343a9/mac#:~:text=Playback pre-roll checkbox%3A When,position are played back correctly.

Edited by boneswald

9 minutes ago, boneswald said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but playback pre-roll doesn't work like recording pre-roll does.

From a quick google search:

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/general-settings-lgcp0ed343a9/mac#:~:text=Playback pre-roll checkbox%3A When,position are played back correctly.

i saw that response when i googled it too and it didn't help.

i did have it set before the update where the playback would play 1/4 bar before or so.  That's exactly how it worked, but idk how to revert it.  if the "playback preroll" isn't the feature i'm looking to change, then where else can i change this feature?

I believe you, but I've never encountered that in Logic and I can't find anything by Googling. In Pro Tools, it's so quick and easy. I still don't understand why Logic doesn't just copy the other DAW's common liked features, especially when they don't replace them with anything. Let me know if you do come across a solution, because playback pre-roll would be nice.

• Like 1