Large latency when side chaining compressor

Alex Banks
Go to solution Solved by Alex Banks,

Hi there.

I have a problem with latency induced when side chaining.  I'm on a fairly new project with low plug in count.

When I try to side chain one track form another I get a delay from when I press start to when the music starts, and a delay from when I press stop to when the music stops.  I have tried Logic stock compressors and 3rd party ones,  still the same.  The delay is quite large and affects changing plug in settings as well.

I have tried creating new channels and no difference.  

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Alex Banks said:

The delay is quite large and affects changing plug in settings as well.

By this do you mean that if you change a plugin parameter during playback, there's a delay (similar to the other delays you're seeing) before the change takes effect?

Often with latency compensation issues in Logic, tracks are out of time with each other. Are you having issues with track timing relative to other tracks? Or is everything in time with itself, and it's just that overall, things like playback start and stop are delayed?

I don't have an immediate answer, but if the tracks are in time with each other, that at least seems like it might be less of a problem than timing issues within or between tracks. There's low-latency mode, but that's likely to disable important aspects of the project. You could also experiment with buffer size. (Maybe someone else can offer further suggestions.)