No MIDI hardware working with Logic after upgrading to Monterey

SamGee
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hey folks,

I wonder if someone can help.  I upgraded my OS to Monterey as well as Logic 10.7.8.  After loading up Logic I receive two error messages - "Error initialising core midi" and "warning midi services not available".

Effectively, can’t use my MIDI keyboard, which is pretty inconvenient!

I’ve tried a suggested workaround which is opening the audio/midi application in system preferences before opening Logic, and selecting the studio window, but I just get the spinning beachball if I do this.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

I’m on a 6 core 3.2ghz 2018 intel Mac Mini 

This sounds like a MIDI driver on your system is breaking CoreMIDI.

What audio/MIDI drivers do you have installed? Including those of your audio interfaces, if they have MIDI ports. Check your drivers are supported on Monterey, and update them if they are old.

You can also try disconnecting all your MIDI devices from the computer, rebooting, and running Logic. Do you still get the same MIDI error? If not, start re-introducing your MIDI devices one by one, and check them, until you find the one when added triggers the problem. Then you likely know what the culprit is, and can investigate that.

(BTW Your sig is very out of date, so please update that with your current specs - thanks!)

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for your helpful response.  I’ll have a look at these suggestions when I’m in the studio tomorrow.

Sorry about the outdated signature - clearly it’s been an age since I had any major issues with Logic 😂. I’ve updated it now 😊

• Like 1

Hi Des,

I seem to have managed to resolve the issue - I went to user folder -> Library -> Audio -> Midi Drivers and delete an old M Audio Midisport driver.  This seems to have fixed it.  Currently however, each time I open Logic, it is asking me if I want to auto-assign controls for my Axiom 49 Keyboard.  Wether I select yes or no, it comes up each time I open a project (even if it's a project I've already selected a preference for).  Would you know how I could solve that issue?

Many thanks

Sam

• Solution
1 minute ago, SamGee said:

This seems to have fixed it.

Great!

2 minutes ago, SamGee said:

Currently however, each time I open Logic, it is asking me if I want to auto-assign controls for my Axiom 49 Keyboard.

Go to Settings -> Control Surfaces -> MIDI Controllers and uncheck "Auto" for your controller. See if that sorts it out...

21 minutes ago, des99 said:

Great!

Go to Settings -> Control Surfaces -> MIDI Controllers and uncheck "Auto" for your controller. See if that sorts it out...

Thanks for that suggestion - so I tried that, and weirdly, my controller doesn't even appear there, even though it's clearly recognised at the start 🤔

There's a way to do it by moving/removing the MIDI script in the Logic application bundle, but I'm not sure if there are other settings in Logic that control this behaviour without resorting to that (I don't like or use smart controls so I never have that automapping stuff on).

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

25 minutes ago, des99 said:

There's a way to do it by moving/removing the MIDI script in the Logic application bundle, but I'm not sure if there are other settings in Logic that control this behaviour without resorting to that (I don't like or use smart controls so I never have that automapping stuff on).

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

Ok I think I've fixed it!  It wasn't very obvious, almost accidental - after the message came up when I opened Logic, the controller was not showing up as a device in the controller surfaces page.  I turned my Axiom keyboard on and off while Logic was open, then the device magically appeared in the controller surfaces page.  The message hasn't come up since 🙂.   

Edited by SamGee
  • Like 2