Sound Library Location

dnito
Go to solution Solved by des99,

To free up space on my internal HD, I moved Logic's sound library to an external DVD.

However, Apple's storage manager says that the Instrument Library (57.17 GB) and apple loops (6.35GB) are still on my internal Mac hard drive. 

Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply;.

I did use Logics relocation feature-- that's how I moved the sounds to the external SSD. But Apple's storage manager still ays the sounds are still also being stored on the internal drive.

When I load a instrument or loop in Logic it  seems to load and play without issue.

47 minutes ago, des99 said:

Are you sure they are not just aliases to the real files on the external drive? That's how Logic's relocation works.

Hmm, not sure. Apple's storage manager says that the Instrument Library on my internals HD  is 57.17 GB  and that apple loops is 6.35GB l on my internal Mac hard drive.  

I Can't imagine an alias would be that large.

No, the alias should point to the real files. But it's possible the "Storage Manager" just sees those files and counts the size of the aliased files while reporting.

Have a look at those locations in Finder to verify - see whether it's the actual files that are there, or just the aliases.

Edited by des99

7 minutes ago, des99 said:

No, the alias should point to the real files. But it's possible the "Storage Manager" just sees those files and counts the size of the aliased files while reporting.

Have a look at those locations in Finder to verify - see whether it's the actual files that are there, or just the aliases.

Thanks. The size of the Logic folder in application support is 60.5 GB and the folders contain the audio files.

Weird - maybe try doing the relocation again, see whether those files get moved (it's possible that the files weren't deleted, maybe Logic didn't have full disk access and wasn't able to delete them).

Before you do that though, try disconnecting the external drive, running Logic and seeing whether it complains about missing content, or whether all the content works as normal. This will let you know whether Logic is actually referencing/using the content on the external, or not.

39 minutes ago, des99 said:

Before you do that though, try disconnecting the external drive, running Logic and seeing whether it complains about missing content, or whether all the content works as normal. This will let you know whether Logic is actually referencing/using the content on the external, or not.

It does complain. Here are the messages I get:

ScreenShot2023-06-30at2_30_43PM.png.7c8b886ac787d04c3024b419ccf097ca.png

ScreenShot2023-06-30at2_31_08PM.png.a53aeb184412694bd62b69fff35561c8.png

And yet, I can still play the logic instrumentents. So clearly it is finding the sounds somewhere, somehow.

40 minutes ago, des99 said:

Weird - maybe try doing the relocation again, see whether those files get moved (it's possible that the files weren't deleted, maybe Logic didn't have full disk access and wasn't able to delete them).

When I try to relocate to the external SSD that I want them on (and where eI have them installed) all the options are greyed out and I get the following message:

ScreenShot2023-06-30at2_38_00PM.thumb.png.8619be95dfea59b827dfa13522fae4b5.png

• Solution

So Logic still thinks your internal drive is the current sound library location - whatever previous operation it did didn't seem to complete properly.

I'd try trashing the existing files on the I7 and trying to relocate again - see if it finishes properly.

• Like 1