Automation - Trim Tool - Can't lower entire track volume if there are automation points set at ∞

riffybeats
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

The trim option no longer works how it used to. I used to be able to use the trim tool to lower automation data across an entire track... Now, if there are any points set to ∞ (dragged all the way down), you cannot lower the automation data with the trim control.

I know you can hold option and click and drag automation down, but this doesn't work as well as the trim function. 

Here's a link to the issue.

Logic Pro - 10.7.8

System Version: macOS 13.4.1 (22F82)

Model Name: MacBook Pro 16″

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

Memory: 64 GB

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 10.00.38 AM.png

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You're right, that behavior has changed in Logic Pro 10.7.8. 

You now have to hold down the Option key while dragging the Trim field down in order to lower the automation when an automation point is at —∞.

Thank you sir. What else has changed lol? I guess I’ll find out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 2:59 PM, David Nahmani said:

You're right, that behavior has changed in Logic Pro 10.7.8. 

You now have to hold down the Option key while dragging the Trim field down in order to lower the automation when an automation point is at —∞.

This keeps it locked when going both up or down - so the bottom stays at -∞. Just wanted to clarify that it'll work both ways, as I was also looking for a solution to this changed behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 3:01 PM, David Nahmani said:

Just hold Option and drag the Trim field down. 

Hi David, just found this thread because this was driving me crazy. Unfortunately this solution is not working for me. I also tried variables like holding option before, or after clicking, but neither are working. I'm on the newest version 10.7.9.

Also does anyone have any idea why they would have changed this? Seems like an unnecessary tweak to something which was intuitive before.

7 hours ago, wing said:

Unfortunately this solution is not working for me. I also tried variables like holding option before, or after clicking, but neither are working. I'm on the newest version 10.7.9.

Yes, unfortunately that no longer works as of now. 

7 hours ago, wing said:

Also does anyone have any idea why they would have changed this?

No idea. Not even sure if this is by design or a bug. 

• Wow! 1

10 hours ago, skillzmcgavern said:

Option + drag on Trim field with automation points at zero is still working for me here on 10.7.9.

Strange, this wasn't working for me on 10.7.9 yesterday, and now today it is! Something buggy is afoot haha. Glad I am able to get it working, as I use this feature regularly.

• 6 months later...

Dragging down on the trim field seems to work for one track only, but not when multiple tracks are selected - like to lower the volume of all drum tracks relative to other tracks. This is true even when I hold option down while dragging down on the trim field with all relevant tracks selected. Any thoughts? (I'm using a MacBook Air.)

On 2/14/2024 at 3:35 AM, David Nahmani said:

It should work on all selected tracks? It does here in Logic Pro 10.8.1. 

heal-cuts.gif

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your response and the illustration. Maybe it's because I'm on a Macbook Air? When I hover over the volume, I'm not even seeing the word "trim" appear. Thanks!

Wow, I've been so frustrated with this issue, I use the trim option all the time for fine tuning on tracks with automation. Holding the Option Key!!  Who would have thought. Brilliant and I'm thrilled!

On 2/20/2024 at 4:03 PM, ReganO said:

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your response and the illustration. Maybe it's because I'm on a Macbook Air? When I hover over the volume, I'm not even seeing the word "trim" appear. Thanks!

I think, while in automation view, you have to drag the edge of the control area to the right until the trim option appears.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, ReganO said:

Maybe it's because I'm on a Macbook Air? When I hover over the volume, I'm not even seeing the word "trim" appear.

@ReganO the word "Trim" appears when you hover over the Automation value field, and only if there's an existing curve for that current parameter. 

Add to that that @D B is correct, you need to have your track headers wide enough in the first place in order to display that Automation value field: 

r-enable.gif