Manually add MIDI CC to Modulator

bdk.nyc
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

I’m trying to use the Modulator MIDI FX plugin to control the envelopes on my OB6 via Logic’s LFO. For some reason, the VCA and VCF envelopes aren’t registering with Logic when I click “Learn MIDI” in the Modulator To: drop-down menu. Other parameters are being learned when I turn the knobs (filter, resonance, VCO frequencies, etc), so it’s not a connection issue. And when I’m turning any of the envelope knobs (say, the VCA attack), I can see the data coming through in the Logic control bar display (channel 2, CC 43, and the amount). The Modulator just won’t learn it, and the CC numbers I need aren’t listed in the Modulator’s list of CC’s — 32-63 are missing, amongst others.

Is there a way to just add the CC number manually? I can’t see one. OR am I just not doing something right here? I feel like that’s entirely possible. 

• Solution

Hi bdk.nyc,

I don't think you will be able to add any CCs that aren't already available in the Modulator's "To" menus.

However you could remap whatever CCs come out of the Modulator to CCs of your choosing using the Scripter MIDI FX plugin.

Here's a script that I shared recently that does that. It should be self-explanatory, if not just ask.

Copy/paste the code in the Scripter's Script Editor (click the "Open Script in Editor" button), then click Run Script:

const ccMap = {
  // incoming CC: outgoing CC
  1: 43,
  27: 17,
  28: 18,
  29: 19,
  30: 20,
  31: 21,
  32: 22,
  33: 23,
  34: 24,
  // ...
};

function HandleMIDI(e) {
  if (e instanceof ControlChange) {
    // Remap incoming CC number if within the ccMap object, otherwise use the original CC number
    e.number = ccMap[e.number] || e.number;
  }
  // Send remapped CC and let non-matching events pass through
  e.send();
}

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
Refactored script
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi bdk.nyc,

I don't think you will be able to add any CCs that aren't already available in the Modulator's "To" menus.

However you could remap whatever CCs come out of the Modulator to CCs of your choosing using the Scripter MIDI FX plugin.

Here's a script that I shared recently that does that. It should be self-explanatory, if not just ask.

Copy/paste the code in the Scripter's Script Editor (click the "Open Script in Editor" button), then click Run Script:

J.

Thank you! This should accomplish what I need to.

32 to 63 are designated in the MIDI spec to work in tandem with CCs 0 to 31, thus allowing 14 bit resolution. See this article which shows the CC assignments. Not all devices support this use of paired CCs which is why your OB6 has made use of that range for other things. Using CC 11 (expression) with CC 43 makes CC 11 the most significant bits and CC 43 the least significant bits.

As MIDI devices needed more CC numbers, instead of implementing NRPNs for 14 bit resolution many manufacturers abandoned recommended CC assignments which can lead to serious confusion. This is probably why Logic does not allow MIDI FX to use those CCs. Ironically your OB6 supports NRPNs as an alternative to CCs, but Logic's MIDI FX do not.

Jordi's suggestion is probably the best workaround.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was hoping that Logic’s MIDI FX allowed NRPN’s, but quickly discovered it wasn’t in the cards  

I wasn’t aware of the tandem CC specs — good to know!

On 7/2/2023 at 8:41 AM, enossified said:

32 to 63 are designated in the MIDI spec to work in tandem with CCs 0 to 31, thus allowing 14 bit resolution. See this article which shows the CC assignments. Not all devices support this use of paired CCs which is why your OB6 has made use of that range for other things. Using CC 11 (expression) with CC 43 makes CC 11 the most significant bits and CC 43 the least significant bits.

As MIDI devices needed more CC numbers, instead of implementing NRPNs for 14 bit resolution many manufacturers abandoned recommended CC assignments which can lead to serious confusion. This is probably why Logic does not allow MIDI FX to use those CCs. Ironically your OB6 supports NRPNs as an alternative to CCs, but Logic's MIDI FX do not.

Jordi's suggestion is probably the best workaround.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:18 AM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi bdk.nyc,

You’re welcome, please let us know the outcome. 🙂

J.

It works great! Thanks, again!

• Like 1