Has anyone come across these SSD's?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a portable SSD to store my LPX and NI libraries and samples on. I came across these ones, but they seem very cheap compared to branded ones. I'm wondering if any of you have one and can share your opinions of it?

Thanks.

{unsafe link to versik website was removed by admin}

I don't have one of these, yet still want to share my opinion:

The ad starts off with Never Worry About Data Loss Again!, followed by terms like reliable data storage, critical business documents, rock-solid durability, and then comes the punch line:  a risk-free 30-day guarantee for all of your purchases, which roughly translates to: "If your drive fails within 30 days, all data on it will be lost, however 'critical' it may be, but we will generously either replace the purchase (the drive!) with a new one or refund the cost of it (and cheap it was). If the drive fails after just 30 days, you are screwed anyway, and your friends will laugh at you. Have a nice day." 

The drive itself may be ok, by the way, I just hate that kind of self-deluding advertisement.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AMD said:

BTW, how do you check when a domain name was registered?

That's part of the so-called WHOIS record. There are tools for this; I'm using WhatRoute most of the time. But as @des99 wrote there are also online tools for this.

Here's the relebant part of the WHOIS entry:

[whois.crsnic.net]
   Domain Name: VERSIK.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 2779404397_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
   Updated Date: 2023-05-09T17:23:12Z
   Creation Date: 2023-05-09T17:23:10Z
   Registry Expiry Date: 2024-05-09T17:23:10Z
   Registrar: NameCheap, Inc.
   Registrar IANA ID: 1068
   Registrar Abuse Contact Email: {email hidden}
   Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.6613102107
   Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
   Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

The Creation Date is the giveaway here; also it is rather uncommon for reputable vendors to register domains for just a single year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gacki said:

That's part of the so-called WHOIS record. There are tools for this; I'm using WhatRoute most of the time. But as @des99 wrote there are also online tools for this.

Here's the relebant part of the WHOIS entry:

[whois.crsnic.net]
   Domain Name: VERSIK.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 2779404397_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
   Updated Date: 2023-05-09T17:23:12Z
   Creation Date: 2023-05-09T17:23:10Z
   Registry Expiry Date: 2024-05-09T17:23:10Z
   Registrar: NameCheap, Inc.
   Registrar IANA ID: 1068
   Registrar Abuse Contact Email: {email hidden}
   Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.6613102107
   Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
   Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

The Creation Date is the giveaway here; also it is rather uncommon for reputable vendors to register domains for just a single year.

Dirty sneaky scammers!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:40 AM, AMD said:

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a portable SSD to store my LPX and NI libraries and samples on. I came across these ones, but they seem very cheap compared to branded ones. I'm wondering if any of you have one and can share your opinions of it?

Thanks.

{unsafe link to versik website was removed by admin}

ASSUMING you actually receive a product after purchase — and not a whole slew of fraudulent credit card payments — chances are, it may report the capacity you allegedly paid for, but behind the controller chip will be 16 or 32 GB of really cheap Flash RAM to pass initial testing. 

Also, LOL at 30 TERAbytes for — 75£. 

The very cheapest SSD storage currently comes at 35€ per terabyte. And that's bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. 

• Like 1

I simply buy [SSD ...] drives at an (American ...) office-supply store, and I have never had any problems. Of course it has a USB-C interface.

I'm frankly not "price-sensitive" because the prices, across the board, are very low these days.  Guess I've been in this crazy business long enough now to remember when this was definitely not the case . . .

For "truly archival" storage requirements, I've also had good success with "SD Cards," which are now very inexpensive.

Edited by MikeRobinson