TV monitor

Go to solution Solved by des99,

My 2013 iMac is very slow these days so I am looking into a new machine and am interested in a Mac Mini. It has been suggested to me that I can save money by buying a TV instead of a monitor from Apple and that certainly seems accurate. Is anyone out there doing this? Is there any drawback?

• Solution

You don't need to buy a monitor from Apple, there are plenty of decent monitors available for the same sort of prices, or cheaper, than TV's are, and that's what I would recommend. (I'm on an LG one now, 4K monitoring, cost about $250 or so.)

I picked up a 50" Samsung TV (QE50QN94A) on a refurb deal through eBay for £450 and it's been fantastic, I mount it on a floor stand behind my desk which means I can set it back a little, and it leaves my entire desk clear for anything else that I want.  Honestly, other than my Mac it's been the best purchase for years.

If you want to break out of the 60hz refresh rate I'd really recommend trying to find something that can do 120hz and look for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling as it makes the text so much better (It's not compressed) - that was why I went for that model, it ticked all the boxes and couldn't believe my luck when I found it cheap.

Also, check that the Mac you buy can output 4k @ 120hz over HDMI as that will increase your flexibility in using TV as monitors (Needs to be HDMI 2.1).  I think a lot of the M2's have this option now, my Macbook M1 Pro didn't - that was maxed to 4k @ 60hz on HDMI.

If you want a good display that's going to last then it's well worth considering those factors (imo).

Edited by skijumptoes