Opposing pan trick method required!

Joe Lonsdale

A common production "trick" is to take a mono audio track, pan it left and then send it to a reverb/delay which is panned right: a lovely way to glue hard panned elements into the mix, balance a one-sided track or just sound cool (it worked for Eddie Van Halen). I always think there must be a plugin that can do this more easily than routing it manually (not that it's that hard!).

I have an almost workable solution using a mono->stereo Gain plugin to pan the mono signal left:

Screenshot2023-07-14at23_19_28.png.624eef836a70ffa08df42fb6a849a58b.png

And follow this with a Stereo Delay, using the LEFT DELAY to Crossfeed to the right:

Screenshot2023-07-14at23_19_42.png.ea41e476e524128fb840e6b0cdbc7ef9.png

You can even follow this with a reverb in Dual Mono mode with the left side 100% dry and the right side set to taste.

But honestly, this is as much hassle as just using a send and doesn't allow you full control. Is this a common enough method to warrant a plugin or am I missing an easy solution?

This is the kind of problem I use to help me sleep at night 😉

Joe

I really wish that Logic gave a pan control on the sends.  That's how I do this stuff in PT.  Pan guitar L and then pan the send to the delay R.  And If I want I can use the same delay to do the reverse with anything else.  It's an elegant gift that keeps on giving.  Same with reverb and chorus.  Everything...

Steve

5 minutes ago, extrememixing said:

I really wish that Logic gave a pan control on the sends.  That's how I do this stuff in PT.  Pan guitar L and then pan the send to the delay R.  And If I want I can use the same delay to do the reverse with anything else.  It's an elegant gift that keeps on giving.  Same with reverb and chorus.  Everything...

Steve

Did you just come onto a Logic site to tease us about Pro Tools' superiority? What a NERVE!

Joe 😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, extrememixing said:

I really wish that Logic gave a pan control on the sends.

There is  the "Sends on Faders" feature Adjust panning for sends independently in Logic Pro for Mac Another way to accomplish it would be to invert the pan on the receiving aux by cmd-clicking it's stereo pan knob... 

Inverted Stereo Pan.png

SendsOnFaders.png.e6081a33ded5a7d0c47ebcf0cbbe1cdf.pngSOFResult.png.b715cc19034bf82a6943526a232c9886.png

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2