Why does Logic always revert to 44.1K even when I start a new session in 48K?

wing

I have my new session default and templates set for a sample rate of 48K. I noticed, however, that regardless, Logic will briefly set all my external clocks to 44.1, and then after loading, set them back to 48. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I'm just wondering why it does this, and if there is a way to prevent it from happening? Sometimes it will throw one of the devices (which is synced over wordclock) out of whack and I have to manually reset it.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:23 AM, SeleN said:

not sure if this helps but what happens if you set the devices in system audio midi settings to 48 ? 

Yeah it's already been set to 48 there as well...

On 7/17/2023 at 3:32 AM, David Nahmani said:

What version of Logic are you using?

I am on 10.7.8, but it's worth noting I recently upgraded to a new Mac Studio and a different audio interface and even then, I noticed this before on my older setup for a few years.

7 hours ago, wing said:

Yeah it's already been set to 48 there as well...

I am on 10.7.8, but it's worth noting I recently upgraded to a new Mac Studio and a different audio interface and even then, I noticed this before on my older setup for a few years.

not to be pedantic: you checked every device (also monitors ) shown in the list ? i had exactly this swapping „feature“ the other way and found out that  my virus was set to 48 in ams though it was not my audio interface…

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 AM, SeleN said:

not to be pedantic: you checked every device (also monitors ) shown in the list ? i had exactly this swapping „feature“ the other way and found out that  my virus was set to 48 in ams though it was not my audio interface…

Yeah sorry that's what I'm trying to say, everything is set to 48K, and I have experienced this same thing on an entirely different computer, interface, and versions of Logic going back the past couple years. You can see in the following screengrabs everything is set to 48K, not only inside AMS but also in the actual interfaces' consoles, and inside Logic (when starting a new project).

I assumed this is a common thing for everyone since it happens on repeat and has happened for me on totally different systems. I noticed if I switch to internal mac soundcard, it happens in the same way as well.

Is this not something that happens for you guys? I mean it's really quick (like 1-2 seconds at first), you may not notice it. UA Apollo interfaces make a loud clicking sound when switching sample rates (which they report as normal and nothing to worry about), but it's part of what always calls my attention to it.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.53.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.53.57 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.54.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.56.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.56.08 PM.png

8 hours ago, SeleN said:

you mind posting a picture of the ams showing your devices ?

Sure thing, these are all my different devices, though I would re-iterate I have seen this Logic behavior on other systems, other devices, other versions of OS and Logic, and with the internal Mac sound card, so I'm not sure how helpful seeing the AMS setup is (since they don't really say anything I didn't show above)...

I would love to hear confirmation from other users if they have seen this before. Like I said it may be more apparent for anyone with UA since it makes a clicking noise when switching the clock back and forth.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 12.37.25 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 12.36.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 12.36.31 AM.png

Quite long UA User. Clicking noise is present on Apollo's every time i start Console in MacOSX (btw i always power Apollo's first before powering the Mac). My Apollo's are set as my audio devices in my MacOSX, but they NEVER click when i load my template in Logic when Console is "preloaded".

Interesting. Yeah I noticed it on another Apollo I used to own (Twin Duo); and a totally different system (Mac Pro 2013). But as mentioned even with the Apollo disconnected, and Logic audio routed to the internal mac soundcard/speakers (which is still set to 48K in AMS), it still does this brief little change and then back. Maybe a screen recording would make the most sense to illustrate what happens on my end. Notice how my project is set for 48K, and then it opens as 44.1K, gives me a spinning wheel for a couple of seconds, and then goes back to 48K once it loads a new track window.

The reason I figured it must be universal is the fact I've had it happen on totally different and unrelated setups. Does this not happen on your end? Would love to hear if anyone else sees this. I feel like I am sounding crazy by now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oyN1vHhsa3eDwMzldcRVkdF7COzCenGZ/view?usp=sharing

(Also unrelated I can never figure out how people on here do sharp screen recordings and upload them - I am using QuickTime player to screen record and even after making way smaller, I have to compress them so hard and even then it won't let me upload because the max is 1.95MB. @David Nahmani do you have any advice for screen recordings on this forum? I see others do it all the time and they look so crisp, attached right in the forum!)

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 2.25.17 PM.png

Edited by wing

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having the same issue on 10.7.9 and an Apollo Quad with the latest firmware: whenever I create a new project in Logic Pro, my audio interface briefly gets reset to 44.1k (visible in audio devices Mac OS Utility) before switching back to whatever sample rate the new project is in.

In the past my interface did click when changing sample rate, but I don't recall so many clicks when creating a new project.

The added annoyance I have on my end is that when doing this, all inputs of my Apollo go dead, and I have to manually go in the UA Console, switch the (visually) correct sample rate to an other one and back to the correct sample rate, then I get audio inputs back. I only have to do that drill with new projects, opening existing ones works without that.

I'm not sure if this is a new UA firmware issue or a Logic Pro issue since I had them both at the same time.

Jseb