Is there a way to combine sessions in Logic?

JOB
Go to solution Solved by des99,

In Ableton, you can group things however you like and save groups, which get saved as an ALS file the same as a complete session.  You can drag any group/session into any other session exactly as it is with the channel strips and automation and MIDI etc all there.  It takes seconds to combine sessions of any size in whatever way you like. 

Is there a way to do this in Logic?  I need to take about 15 tracks from one session into another, ideally as they are, without committing to audio.   

Edited by JOB

15 hours ago, JOB said:

In Ableton, you can group things however you like and save groups, which get saved as an ALS file the same as a complete session.  You can drag any group/session into any other session exactly as it is with the channel strips and automation and MIDI etc all there.  It takes seconds to combine sessions of any size in whatever way you like. 

Is there a way to do this in Logic?  I need to take about 15 tracks from one session into another, ideally as they are, without committing to audio.   

Sounds awesome!! The File - Import - LogicProjects thing is a mass for me, it's chaotic as more tracks I get and includes bugs which I then have to clean up.

Imagine your creativity is inspired by the bass-tenor track but using it as a solo synth line for a new project. I am always lost how to save these ideas without the loop browser which doesn't fit my working approach at all.

A lot creativity is lost due the fact, that I am yet unable to save from a big session just a MIDI region plus a audio region.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

Sounds awesome!! The File - Import - LogicProjects thing is a mass for me, it's chaotic as more tracks I get and includes bugs which I then have to clean up.

Imagine your creativity is inspired by the bass-tenor track but using it as a solo synth line for a new project. I am always lost how to save these ideas without the loop browser which doesn't fit my working approach at all.

A lot creativity is lost due the fact, that I am yet unable to save from a big session just a MIDI region plus a audio region.

It is awesome. Easy as it gets, no cleanup required. Has completely changed my workflow for the better. Doing it in Logic the way that was suggested worked with a little effort on my end but is no comparison. 

You can put together drum track sessions on their own, and musical idea sessions on their own, and groups of layered sound design on their own, or grab parts of other sessions, etc etc etc with no fear of combining things in whatever way possible later.  There's a sense of freedom and fearlessness of "issues" throughout the whole process that seem to plague Logic, where you're spending extra time cleaning up adjustments all over the place, which can be a major momentum and vibe killer.  Add to that how well automation and timing works, and its night and day. 

When sessions start to get laggy, you can bounce to audio, go to a new session, finish up all the new parts there, and seamlessly drag them all into the original session exactly as they are, freezing as necessary which works really well in Ableton (you can drag around freezes seamlessly, it moves the frozen audio along with the MIDI information, unlike Logic which locks in a frozen track).  I end up working in several sessions frequently because of this freedom.

I was solely a Logic user for nearly 20 years, made the switch recently, which was a painful experience for a while as you have to re-learn a bunch of rote processes and adapt to another way of working (I don't bus anymore, you can do all the same things using groups, which are completely modular like I've described), but once I got rolling its been a really fantastic working experience and my productivity and enjoyment of making music has gone way up. 

Hate to be an Ableton propagandist on a Logic forum, but so many frustrations that were inherent to making music have melted away. 

• Love 1

Hi JOB, I feel you. Reminds me on my experiences since Platinum. 😉 Disclaimer: Logic is a great software, anyway. 

In terms of size vs. service I'd expect a much faster service team from one of the richest tech companies in the world. They buy back their stock for billions of dollars, but don't want to increase the Logic team to solve problems. I wouldn't complain if using Logic wasn't tied to buying an expensive Mac.

@fisherking Nice to read, enjoy doing creative stuff, what your and our life makes so beautiful. 🙂